This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The recent Brett Kavanaugh case sparked outrage for many, especially survivors of sexual assault. Across social media, the hashtag #WhyIDidntReport provided a platform for victims to share their experiences and provide insight as to how the reporting process can be just as traumatic as the assault itself. Sexual assault often goes unreported because not every victim wants to endure a process that will constantly remind them of their trauma. Personally, it took me months to come forward to the Title IX team and move forward with an investigation. It took me a few weeks to even process that what I experienced was sexual assault. Even now, I sometimes struggle to open up about my incident due to the backlash I faced. Which is why I respect Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for allowing herself to take the time to decide to come forward. With all the criticism she receives for taking so long to report, it is important to address how to appropriately respond to survivors when they make that decision.

1. Believe them

Before you make the argument that a survivor could be making a false accusation, understand that very few sexual assault complaints turn up false. A survivor chooses to report because of the emotional toll it has on them so they pursue a complaint with hope that they will get the resolution they want.

2. Offer support

Like mentioned above, the reporting process is not an easy one. The victim is often forced to relive a traumatic experience throughout multiple occasions and may even receive blame for something that happened to them. Like Dr. Ford, they could face stigma for choosing to report. Assure them that they have your support, check in on them, and ask if there is anything you can do to help.

3. Combat rape culture

Part of supporting victims is understanding what rape culture is and spotting it when it occurs. Call out those who criticize a victim for wanting to report. Educate those who do not fully understand sexual assault and the process of reporting one. Share resources with others. Part of combating rape/sexual assault is combating the culture that allows it to happen and tolerating it when it occurs.

Augustana Contributor