This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

During this COVID-19 pandemic, it is understandable that you might be feeling emotionally drained, and overwhelmed with everyday life. If you have been struggling recently, it might be helpful to take a step back and focus on what makes you feel happier and healthier. Continue reading for some tips on avoiding burnout!

1. Make time for your loved ones

It’s understandable if you’ve been feeling lonely or disconnected lately. To combat that, try to call or video chat with your friends and family. Lean on your loved ones through technology during this time and find your support system!

2. Give yourself a break from your work

When working from home, meeting in online classes, or studying more in your room, it’s easier to lose track of time and get caught up in work. However, working 24/7 can be exhausting and you have to be able to give yourself a break! Take some “me” time, and treat yourself to a night of facemasks and yummy food, or read a book and light some nice smelling candles!

3. Go outside in the fresh air or get in some exercise.

It isn’t healthy to stay inside all day so either go for a walk outside or do a condensed workout inside to get some movement in. I have noticed that when I go for a walk during the day or exercise, I can deal with the stress that comes with living through a pandemic better. Working out is a perfect way to relieve the stress that we are all feeling now! 

4. Acknowledge that this is a difficult time

It’s no use to avoid or push away your feelings and talking through them or thinking through them is a healthier way of coping than pretending everything is okay! Reach out to someone you trust, and work through some of the stress you might have been feeling. Everyone is struggling in their own way right now, and bottling up your feelings will only make things worse. 

5. Take care of yourself—not only mentally, but also physically

To stay healthy, you must get enough sleep, eat balanced meals, and try to manage your stress. Living through a pandemic is already difficult enough, but one way to make it easier is to make sure you are feeling good about yourself. By paying attention to your body’s needs you’ll be in a much better place to manage both your physical and emotional challenges!

6. Try to avoid utilizing too much social media

So​cial media can be a toxic environment, especially with the abundance of news that has the potential to be triggering. Take some time to unplug and recuperate, if needed. Social media is a useful tool, but if you are noticing it is harming your mental health, this is a sign that you need a break! Keep in mind that we are living in an unprecedented time. Focus on staying healthy, physically and mentally, and staying safe!

Molly Sweeney

Augustana '24

Molly Sweeney is a journalism major at Augustana College. You can find her curled up reading a good book while it's rainy outside, playing with her dog Pepper, or drinking iced coffee. She hopes to one day break her coffee addiction in favor of a healthier habit.
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!