This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

On Saturday, May 6th, Augie International Club will be celebrating the Festival of Holi in the Lower Quad. According to the website Holi Festival of Colors, Holi, “announces the arrival of spring and the passing of winter.” It is a way in which people can embrace relaxation and get rid of their worries by throwing them to the wind. In this celebration, people sing and dance while they throw colors (red, green, yellow, blue, black and silver) at each other. This is the third festival that Augie International and the Office of International Student Life organize and this year’s proceeds will be donated to Water to Thrive organization.

Her Campus had the chance to talk with Augie International’s President and Vice-President Adiba Hassan and Silas Metternick-Jones. Adiba shares “it started in 2014, during my freshman year, when people came up with the idea of celebrating the Holi festival and presented it to the former president and vice president, Savi Jayawardana and Michaila Copper.” When asked about the significance of the event in the Augie community she adds, “even though I do not celebrate it, it is important because through the Augie International club we are open to celebrate different traditions and cultures; Holi, in particular, is fun and more experiential than other traditions.” Holi is celebrated primarily in India and Nepal and the food and colors create a sense of community. Silas encourages people to attend Holi because “it is fun and it is a way to explore and experience something from a different culture with good food.”

Augie International will be selling tickets next week, Week 9, at the Brew: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 10:30 am – 2:30 pm and Tuesday/Thursday: 10:30 am – 4:30 pm.

International sophomore at Augustana College who is pursuing a career in Political Science and History. Enjoys reading romantic novels, baking pastries, strong Nicaraguan coffee and traveling to get to know new cultures better. Passionate about globalization, women's rights and quality education for everyone. Proud member of Sigma Pi Delta social sorority.  "I would like to be remembered as someone who accomplished useful deeds, and who was a kind and loving person. I would like to leave the memory of a human being with a correct attitude and who did her best to help others."                                                        - Grace Kelly.
Augustana Contributor