This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

16 year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg has been named Time Magazine‘s 2019 “Person of the Year.” She is the youngest person to receive the distinction, and told the press that she was surprised and honored by the announcement. 

As a young activist, Thunberg has become a household name in the past year. Her “Fridays for Future” protests have been adopted by students all over the world, including here at Augustana College. Thunberg has visited many countries in her quest to lead these protests every Friday. The main point of her activism is to remind legislators and politicians that they are making laws that will affect their children more than them. The climate crisis is an issue that children today will be impacted by for the rest of their lives, if correct action is not taken as quickly as possible. 

Greta Thunberg has had an extremely successful and impactful year in 2019, and this is reflected by her being named the “Person of the Year.” Let’s hope that this momentum carries us into a cleaner and more environmentally conscious 2020. 

Senior at Augustana College. Biochemistry and Psychology Major. Proud Feminist. Third Year with Her Campus. 
Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020