BTC DORM
BTC DORM
Her Campus Media

Five Easy College Dorm Food Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Food in a college dorm can get pretty bland after a while. Ramen noodles and canned soup become boring rather easily. Because of COVID-19, students have been spending a lot more time inside their dorm rooms. This means lots of similar tasting dorm food. If you’re looking for ways to make this experience more enjoyable, here are five tips on how to spice up dorm food.

#1: Sriracha Sauce

Sriracha, or any hot sauce, is a great way to literally spice up dorm food. It can be put into ramen or on top of other microwavable dishes. Keeping a bottle of Sriracha sauce in your dorm room is a great way to go!

Sriracha
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

#2: Chip dip

Due to the coronavirus, many schools have been packaging certain items individually rather than using machines for everyone to share. An example of this is condiments used for sandwiches. Packets of mayo, salt and pepper, ketchup, and mustard are usually easy to grab in dining areas. This can easily be made into a chip, fry, or even chicken tender dip. Mix together 2 parts mayo, 1 part ketchup, and some pepper. It’s definitely worth it!

Person eating nachos
Unsplash
#3: Cheese, please!

When it comes to cheese, you can’t go wrong. Keeping shredded, string or sliced cheese in your mini-fridge is a game-changer. Add cheese as a topping to enhance any meal! You could add it to your potato chips to make nachos or add it on top of microwavable meals of any kind. 

#4: Waffle it!

Having a mini waffle maker on hand is essential during college. Invite a few people to your dorm and safely test what can work in a waffle maker. You would be amazed at how many foods can be “waffled.” Whether it’s waffles batter, cinnamon roll dough, or even pizza, the mini waffle makes for an easy and fun food experience. 

heart-shaped mini waffle maker
Urban Outfitters
#5: Chocolate Sauce 

Having chocolate sauce on hand is always essential. It can be added to any treat like ice cream, cookies, or mug cakes. Chocolate sauce can also make an early morning coffee taste like mocha, and a late-night glass of milk chocolaty. 

chocolate bundt cake
Photo by Jordane Mathieu from Unsplash
If you’re a college student who isn’t looking forward to lots of dorm room time, these hacks will make your experience worthwhile. Remember to stay safe and be mindful of others during this time.

Kaitlin Jacobson

Augustana '23

Kaitlin Jacobson is currently a Sophomore at Augustana College majoring in Creative Writing. Along with writing articles for Her Campus, Kaitlin is a Features Reporter in The Observer, the school newspaper at Augustana. She has always had a passion for writing, and also enjoys writing songs and poetry. When not writing, Kaitlin can be found participating in theater and choir, along with various clubs at her school.
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!