Life > Experiences

Favorite (Use Me for Good)

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

His eyes determine her reality.

She knows them like the back of her hand.

She knows the meaning of each glimmer, each shadow,

changing by the second.

She knows the meaning of each inflection,

the sadness and bitterness creeping into the edges of his voice.

She knows the meanings of his words

and the meanings of everything unsaid;

she knows because his feelings are hers.

His tears are hers because they infect her.

His anger is hers because it is familiar.

His despair is hers because it was her mother’s before her,

and his mother’s before him,

passed along like a family heirloom.

And she aches to compare him—

perfect, wonderful, ethereal him—

to someone as monstrous as her;

but the similarities fragment and form a whole

pieces of a broken mirror that displays what she could have been

not if her moods didn’t change on a dime,

but if she’d dared to know it.

If she’d dared to know that she was me and I was her.

You have me hypnotized;

wrapped around your finger,

trapped under your skin,

and you know it.

We are one and the same,

I would do anything for you,

and you know it.

I pray that you only use me for good.

Hello! My name is Mak, and I go by they/them pronouns. I'm a part of the Augustana College class of 2027, and I'm a History/Sociology-Anthropology double major (hopefully adding either a French or WGSS minor to that). I'm your classic insufferable angry queer feminist poet with too many opinions and too much time on her hands. Give me any topic and I'll write up a little rant about it, no problem, though I occasionally struggle with speaking out loud. I absolutely love to write and draw and sing, and I know way too much information about the band Fall Out Boy. I don't necessarily believe in astrology, but I'll admit it's a hobby of mine (I'm a Leo sun, Cancer moon, and Capricorn rising). My main goal is to work towards a better, safer future, both on campus and out in the world, for *all* women and feminine-aligned individuals, as well as to examine, understand, and deconstruct the sociology of gender and patriarchy in our society today. I'm always open to discussion and constructive criticism of any and everything I write on here — no one is perfect, myself included. Just shoot me a message or find me on campus. Love and support to all!