Easy Recipes for Broke, Tried College Students: Garlicky Cauliflower Linguine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The following recipie is from The 5-Ingredient College Cookbook: Easy, Healthy Recipes for the Next Four Years & Beyond, by Pamela Ellgen.

My housemates and I have made several of the recipes from this cookbook and very much enjoyed most of them, so I plan on sharing my favorites with you! And today’s feature is….

Garlicky Cauliflower Linguine! The perfect vegetarian dish, whether you’re someone who’s a non-meat-eater or not! (There’s even a vegan option with this recipe!) It’s a fairly large recipe (serves 4), so gather your roommates, gather you family, gather your friends, and enjoy a tasty, super easy and quick dish in good company!

Ingredients: 

1  8-ounce package fettuccine or linguine noodles

salt and pepper (to taste)

1/4 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons

1/4 cup water

1 head cauliflower

1/4 cup raisins (these are the best part in my opinion, so I would recommend using more than this!)

4 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup grated Parmesean cheese (or, for the vegans out there, leave this ingredient out!)

What to do:

Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain in a colander.

In a skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Cut and add cauliflower and cook until it begins to sizzle. Add water, cover the pan, and cook for 7 minutes.

Add raisins and cook until almost no liquid remains in the pan (about 2 mins). Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Transfer pasta to a serving dish, drizzel with remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Top it with cauliflower mixture and parmesan cheese. (When I made it, I simply mixed everything together, adding the pasta to the pan of cauliflower. This depends if you have a big enough pan, of course!)

Laura Beuseling

Augustana '19

Laura is an English major and Creative Writing minor at Augustana College. She is currently the Senior Editor for Augie's Her Campus chapter. She has always had a love of art and imaginative storytelling. When Laura's not entertaining the many stories in her head, she spends her time reading, listening to music, enjoying nature, laughing at stupid jokes, smiling at strangers, and fantasizing about a career as a writer.
Augustana Contributor