This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

This week, I was lucky enough to have the privilege of talking with Augie senior Debo Balogun about his life and how Augustana has shaped him.  A double major in Theatre and Psychology, Debo can frequently be found hanging out in the college center near the new Brunner Theater.

What is your favorite place on campus?

The rocky area in the Lower Quad right by the Swanson Bridge overlooking the Slough Path.

What, from all of your accomplishments, are you most proud of thus far in your career at Augie?

I think I’m most proud of how much I have really found myself within theatre as a result of my time at Augie. I have a much better understanding of myself and much more direction in my passion than what I walked in with.

What’s your dream job (if you have one)?

It’s not a dream job in the traditional sense, but I would love to play Lafayette/Jefferson in Hamilton. Or just any role in that show.

Who is your biggest role model?

Donald Glover is my idol.

Do you have a quote or song lyric that you live by (or just really love)?

“I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable, I am an original” – from “Wait For It” in Hamilton. It’s such a beautiful inspirational line. Encourages me to keep fighting for what I want.

What song from “Hamilton” is your favorite?

I have to pick ONE?! Yikes…The whole thing is brilliant. But me and my friend do this thing where we switch off between playing Burr and Hamilton in “Aaron Burr, Sir” so that has a special place in my heart.

What’s your ideal pizza?

Pineapple, bacon and/or ham. *salivates*

If you could be an inanimate object, what would you be?

I like to joke that my Patronus is an ottoman. So. An ottoman. They’re so versatile!

What color do you see when you think of the word “happy”?

The color of your eyes. *you swoon dramatically*

What’s your favorite smell in the whole world?

New car smell got me LIT.

What superpower would you most like to have?

Teleportation. I’d never be late to anything ever again. Just kidding, I probably would be even later.

Allyson Jesse is a senior at Augustana College studying English and Creative Writing. She enjoys poetry too much for her own good and spends her free time finding symbolism in everyday objects. Bunnies are by far her favorite animal and her most far-fetched dream is to own a bunny farm one day. More realistically, she hopes that after college she will be able to work in the magazine realm where she can inspire people to add more creativity to their lives.
Augustana Contributor