This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

I am here writing to you today that when coming to America it was destined for you to come across many obstacles that will scatter your view. However, I can ensure that you all will grow into one of the most beautiful, self-assured, and strong women that the land of red, white and blue will ever have and will be blessed to have. 

When entering college you will become more confident, which will allow your voice to be louder. But you weren’t always like this—you always felt intimidated by the majority that surrounded you all your life, which constantly had you questioning your validation of belonging. Sometimes you will doubt your capabilities to those who dominate this land and it may make you feel like no matter how much effort you put in things will never change, but I am here to tell you that through dedication and perseverance many opportunities will come to you—opening several doors. The only thing standing between you and your goals is the made-up wall of doubts in your head that was ingrained from society.

Being a first-generation American Indian daughter, It took years for me to finally become confident in my intellect and capabilities, but taking that first step forward by myself without being shielded by my parents, who just wanted me to be safe, is what really gave me that confidence. Don’t be mad at your parents. Yes, they will always be calling and checking up on you about where you are, tell you that you’re learning your “bad habits” from your white friends, and will be concerned that a high school dance will send their daughter down a path of irreversible self-destruction. It’s ok to get frustrated with them, but it took me a long hard time to learn that they just want the best for you and they love you so much!

Be proud to be the daughter of two parents who tried their best to understand the American way of living, while also teaching you about your own cultural background. You will come to realize that your culture was a part of making you for who you are today, and you will come to embrace every part of them, having to balance the two cultures on your own. 

Now go out there. Show everyone what you’re capable of and leave them shaking, but immersed in your bright aura, wondering where a girl like her came from—Heaven or Hell? Either way you, the first-generation daughter, are going to reach the highest of heights with no obstacles in your view. 

Shubhi Sharma

Augustana '22

Shubhi Sharma is currently a senior at Augustana College. She is majoring in Biology/Pre-dental with the hopes to become an orthodontist or cosmetic dentist. She has a passion for fashion, writing poetry, and painting. If you don't find her studying in the lounge then she's probably watching anime or deciding which luxury brand to buy next. She hopes that by writing about her unique experiences, thoughts, and ideas that others will find it entertaining, encouraging, and most importantly relatable.
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!