This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

1. Rozz Tox

Rozz Tox is a cafe, bar, and performance venue. This cute little hangout is located in Rock Island, just one mile away from Augustana, making it a really convenient place to go. Everything on the menu is amazing. I would recommend trying any one of their specialty sandwiches, the Vietnamese coffee, or the honey ginger tea. They have an upstairs library that’s perfect for getting homework done. I have spent many nights there fully focused, enjoying a nice drink while getting some studying done. Studying is not the only thing to do at Rozz Tox, as they also have live bands come in frequently. So when you just want to hang out with friends, get a snack, or listen to some good music—this is your place. The staff is very laid back and relaxed, making for an overall very chill  and welcoming environment.

2. LemonGrass​

LemonGrass is a great place to get dinner with family or friends. The food is delicious, plus LemonGrass is centrally located in downtown Moline. If you have time after eating, you should walk around the area and check out some more of what downtown Moline has to offer. As for the menu, it is made up of classic dishes from many different styles of Asian cuisine. My personal favorite dish is the chicken curry with crab rangoons. Once again, this is a great place to go for a dinner, either a casual night with friends or a nice first date. You can dress up, you can dress down, you can even get carry out! Oh yeah—be forewarned that the portions are huge so splitting your meal is not at all a bad option.

3. Cafe d’Marie

Cafe d’Marie is another one of my favorite restaurants in the Quad Cities. Cafe d’Marie is definitely a hidden gem. Not a lot of people know about it because it is literally in someone’s house. The owners converted the first floor of the house into a tiny restaurant. So if you end up going here, don’t be surprised if you see their little toddler running around! Cafe d’Marie is located near downtown Davenport. This is a great spot to go after the farmer’s market, unfortunately only the inside portion is open during these frigid months (here’s more information on the farmer’s market). I spend many of my Saturday’s at the farmer’s market followed by a quick trip to Cafe d’Marie. The owners are very nice people, and really take the time to get to know their customers. As for recommendations, the entire menu is amazing, so you really can’t go wrong with any option. However, I would advise you not to leave their without trying one of the homemade desserts.

4. QC Pancake House

The QC Pancake House is very well known around here, and for good reason. Located in downtown Rock Island, it is noted by locals to be one of the best breakfast places around. As the name of the restaurant seems to imply, the pancakes are amazing. I get them every time I go here along with a glass of orange juice. This is your simple, reliable breakfast place. My only suggestion is that you should be prepared to wait a bit to be seated, this place is always packed!

Alexa Pedersen

Augustana '20

Communication and Women & Gender Studies | Feminist-in-progress.
Augustana Contributor