Catch Up With Your HC Exec Board This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

I hope everyone is having a great summer! We wanted to catch up with our 2017-2018 Exec Board members to see what they’ve been up to this summer. Check it out below!

Exec Board Member: Bri Hanes

2017 – 2018 Position: Marketing/PR Co-Director 

This summer, I am interning with a marketing firm called Media Link, Inc. here in Rock Island. I get to learn all about the advertising and media buying field while working on different projects for clients. I am super excited about this because it’s helping me choose a distinct career path in the advertising world. My internship is only two days a week, so I also work at the Augie bookstore 3 days a week! Come say hi! Aside from working, I’ve been binge watching Suits, trying to find new things to make for dinner, spending some time with my friends here in the QC, and drawing and painting whenever I get a free moment. It’s been a good summer so far!

Exec Board Member: Kaitlin O’Brien

It was totally last minute, but I decided to be a counselor this summer at the high-end Camp Pontiac in Copake, New York. I will be sleeping, eating, and breathing with kids for the next 2 months! The camp is similar to a a mini-resort with multiple sports courts, arts & crafts, theatre, waterparks, outdoor adventure, and many more incredible opportunities. I’m super exciting and hoping to have the summer of my life!

Exec Board Member: Shannon Flynn

2017 – 2018 Position: Social Media Co-Director

I am a marketing intern at the EDGE Center this summer, working with local QC companies on advertising in our school directory, The COSMO. I am also working in the school student calling center as well as just starting at Ribco. ​

Exec Board Member: Mia Polinski

This summer I have been spending most of my time at the an outdoor pool by my house every day. I am the Facility Supervisor, I oversee and work with a number of different positions. I work with the cleaning crew, admissions cashiers, maintenance, and lifeguards. Every day is something different, I just make sure that everything is up and running smoothly. There have been a lot of challenges so far– this job position has been a constant learning process. Besides working I love going to the beach and spending lots of time in Chicago exploring!

Exec Board Member: Rachel Minter

2017 – 2018 Position: Co-Events Director

The first two weeks of summer I was in Rome with Augustana. It was part of a Christian Ethics class. We learned a lot about the history of Catholicism. Seeing the Sistine Chapel was a highlight for me! I also made a wish in the Trevi Fountain so I know I will be going back one day! Currently I am working as a counselor at Wonderland Camp in Wisconsin. It is a Salvation Army camp that focuses on bringing the word of God to kids in the Chicagoland area. I’m in charge of the 9 year old girls and I love it! It’s my third summer working here and I’m so excited to see where the Lord leads. I’m very busy since I live with the campers and take care of them in addition to teaching the dance elective. I’m ready to have a summer filled with bug bites and smores! 

Exec Board Member: Isabel Matthei

2017 – 2018 Position: Events Co-Director

Over the summer I am dedicating my time mostly to work. I got a new job working estate sales which is really fun. I get to see new houses every week. Some are huge, and some have really weird furniture and nicknacks. It’s hard work but a good workout. On my down time I am hanging out with friend from my old high school and learning how to play the ukulele. Over the week of fourth of July I am going to Crivitz, Wisconsin for a family reunion at my parents small cabin on the river. I don’t get to see my family very often so I am looking forward to it. ​

Exec Board Member: Comet Blecha

2017 – 2018 Position: Graphic Designer

This summer I am working in the EDGE Center as the Project Manager and Lead Graphic Designer. In the EDGE Center we work with over 200 clients creating website designs, logo designs, print media, and I’ve had a few illustration projects. I am also staying busy by running every morning before work with my cross country teammates (who have also stayed in Rock Island over the summer), and by reading or watching Netflix in the afternoon. ​

Exec Board Member: Sierra Scanlan

2017 – 2018 Position: Senior Editor

I am spending this summer in the Quad Cities. My days consist of work and running to prepare for the upcoming Cross Country season. I work at a camp called Camp Abe Lincoln in Blue Grass, Iowa. The days are long but so far I am enjoying it because my co-workers and the kids are great. I’ve started running early in the morning before work and although the early wake up time sucks, I love seeing the sunrise along the Mississippi River. 

When I’m not working or running, I spend time hanging out with my friends and doing fun local things. This past Saturday we went West Lake in Davenport, IA. It’s a pretty low key beach area with cheap admission ($4) and has things like paddle boating and kayaking. I would definitely recommend it! I am looking forward to spending more time this summer discovering other cool spots in the Quad Cities.

Exec Board Member: Allyson Jesse

2017 – 2018 Position: Co-President

This summer I am lifeguarding most days. It’s a really fun summer job to have since I get to be outside enjoying the weather. My tan is coming along nicely haha. When I have days off I’m usually reading or catching up on TV/Netflix shows. I just started the third season of American Horror Story (it’s the Coven one) and I’m addicted. I hope to beat my record from last year for number of books I read over the summer. Last year it was 15. I’m already 5 books in this year so I’m hopeful!​

Exec Board Member: Melissa Conway

2017 – 2018 Position: Co-President/Co-Founder

This summer I’m interning with “Fresh Films”, a film company dedicated to helping teenagers get hands-on experience in a professional film set. We run free summer programs that provide films resources for kids who usually wouldn’t have access to professional equipment. I’m a marketing intern, so I have been running all of our social media accounts, reaching out to teenagers and schools, and answering any questions from the parents or kids. I’m getting a lot of professional office and marketing experience this summer and I’m looking forward to seeing where it takes me!

Exec Board Member: Lu Gerdemann

This summer I am back in Denver doing two internships–one at CenterTable working on graphic design, video, and assisting with their internship program. My other internship is with the City and County of Denver in their Office of Strategic Partnerships and Office of Financial Empowerment where I create communication/marketing materials and help them manage their social media accounts. I am so pumped to be back in Colorado and looking forward to hiking and taking pictures!

Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.