This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

By Hannah Alvarez

Where do I begin? It was an average day on campus,I am in my dorm getting message after message from my mother asking me to change my trip. I signed up to go to Egypt in January 2024, but with everything going on my mom worried for my safety, which is very understandable.

As I was trying to search for a new trip I remembered something. When looking into trip options I remembered a few things. Most importantly, I wanted to be somewhere warm, luckily I remembered the company I booked through, EF Ultimate Break had a trip to Belize the same month just a week after my Egypt trip. Excited, I finally called the tour company. After I called, I immediately explained my situation and they were so helpful with helping me change my trip. My mother and I were both very excited that we found an alternative trip. 

Fast forward to January 2024, just a couple of days before my 11 day vacation to Belize. While I am home in Colorado, I should be excited, but I am freaking out. At this point I am telling my close family, boyfriend and friends that I can’t go on this trip alone; I was not ready to leave the country by myself, sure I went to Colombia to visit some family alone, but I was young and was accompanied by a flight agent through the airport etc. I was just not ready. 

Before I knew it the day finally came, and I was all packed and ready to go. It was an early, cold morning in Colorado and my parents were dropping me off at the airport. I am trying to get excited, but I just couldn’t; I knew something was going to happen whether that be before the trip, during or after. After my parents said their goodbyes and I was walking through the airport the nerves disappeared. My parents said their goodbyes and as I walked through the airport, my nerves disappeared.

Even with a raging migraine and two very much delayed flights, getting to Belize was not easy, but I am so glad I made it there! My whole 11 days in Belize were nothing but bliss. While basking in the sun, I enjoyed learning about the amazing history by going to the different ancient Mayan ruins, trying new food and drinks, and being able to explore such a beautiful country all while meeting new people. On top of going to Belize I also spent a day in Guatemala. 

The start of the trip was not ideal by any means, but once I got there I knew that it was so worth it. I was about to give up on a trip that was filled with so many memories.Belize and Guatemala are beautiful, and though getting there was not ideal especially for my first trip out of the country all alone, it was all worth it to see the Belizean bliss.  

Hello everyone my name is Hannah Alvarez and I am a sophomore. I am currently double majoring in Psychology and Environmental Studies, but I may add on a minor. On campus I am involved in ESA(Epsilon Sigma Alpha) and also apart of the Phi Rho Sorority. I am from a sub-burb just 45 min south of Denver, Colorado called Castle Rock and form being being from Colorado I also just love the outdoors. I just like an hour away from the mountains so in the summer of love hiking, going on bike rides, driving up to the mountain towns and hanging out with people. I am also very adventurous so white-water rafting and activity's like that excite me. In the winter, I try to get up to the mountains as much as possible and enjoy the winter activity's that the mountains have to offer.