This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Miranda Sharp is a sophomore at Augustana. She is from Joliet, Illinois and is currently studying Psychology and Religion. She is involved in the Varsity Golf Team, Delta Chi Theta Sorority, SAAC, and Young Life. Miranda is participating in the St. Baldrick’s fundraiser that is put on by the Rho Nu Delta fraternity each year. This year it will take place on April 13th. 

I asked her what inspired her to do this. She told me that seeing others do it is what first inspired her. She thought what they were doing for the cause was awesome and she wanted to be a part of it. She recognized that her hair was a huge part of her identity and instead she wanted to make her personality something that people remembered. Shaving her head for St. Baldrick’s she says will push her to work on her personality and those around her to love her for who she really is, and not what she looks like. She is doing more than just fighting cancer, she is fighting the stereotype behind women and hair. There is such a large stigma behind women needing long beautiful hair, chemo causes cancer patients to lose this part of their identity. Miranda is trying to show that these barriers need to be broken down, baldness needs to be normalized. 

She encourages others to participate in this amazing fundraiser because it will be an amazing experience. It has the possibility to change you as a person. Also, the donations go to an amazing cause, to fight cancer. It is easy to donate money to a cause, but it is incredibly courageous to shave off part of your identity. Miranda is a true inspiration to those that want to develop themselves into new people outside of their physical appearance. 

Miranda wants to thank all those that have been supporting her and encouraging her for her participation. I have included the link to her fundraising page if you would like to go and support her! Keep doing you Miranda!

https://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/1019266/2019?fbclid=IwAR…

Ana Warkocki

Augustana '21

I'm Ana, I am currently studying Psychology and Communication Studies at Augustana College. I enjoy writing, photography, and listening to Indie music.
Augustana Contributor