5 Ways In Which Being An International Student Changes Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

It is said that college is the most exciting experience of an individual’s life. But, what happens when you add to that excitement the fact that this new journey will not take place in your hometown but in a total different country with a new culture and a different way of seeing life? It may sound scary at first; but for those collegiettes who have lived this adventure, it is one of the most fulfilling experiences of their lives.

1. It makes you more extroverted.

Even though I have been at Augie for two months, I can totally say that I am becoming a more extroverted person. The fact I am experiencing a new culture allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and with will people who have the same interests as a I do. Before I came to Augustana, it was difficult for me to start a conversation with someone I didn’t know. But, the friendliness of all the new people that I have met in college and their different points of view have allowed me to become more open since I want to know more about their lives and the different things their culture has to offer. However, I believe that it is difficult to achieve all those wonderful goals if I stay quiet in a corner without even having the intention to start a conversation.

2. It allows you to be more open-minded.

Experiencing a new culture may be shocking at first, but when you start getting more involved in it you are prone to open to new ideas that maybe you have not heard about in your home country Nicaragua, my home country, is well known for its conservatism and the low key role that women play in society. Before coming to the United States I used to believe that, because of my gender, I was not able to make an important contribution to my society. Now, I know that educated and powerful women can aim for strong things that can create positive impacts in the world that surround them. This can range from being an advocate for women and children’s rights to becoming the next president of the country. Augustana College junior Wilma Nnoke says, “Being an international student challenged me to think differently than what I used to think; back home I used to have certain perceptions about different things, but being an international student has made me to be more open minded and aware of situations that happen around me.”

3. It forges a more independent personality.

Living in a new country by yourself means that you have to take the charge of your own life and solve your own problems since your parents are not by your side to help you. Eventually, this allows you to sharpen your critical thinking abilities with more innovative and creative solutions for everyday problems. Savi Jayawardana, a senior at Augustana College, states: “Being an International Student has taught me to be more independent because I have to depend on myself a lot in the circumstances were I am alone in a new place.”

4. It enables you to generate higher expectations for your future life.

Before experiencing a new culture, you probably had your mind set in the on the common goals established by the society in your home country. But after getting in touch with new ideas you start craving for new and better ambitions for your future life. Augustana College sophomore Yemurai Mapurisa reflects, “Being an international student allowed me to realize that there are higher things that I can achieve for my future life; better jobs, better houses, better cars, better neighborhoods that I can strive for.” She adds, “It raised my expectations for life, and just not settle for the box minded way of thinking that I been living in back at home.”

5. It permits you to learn about different cultures.

Being an international student allows you to interact with new cultures since, most of the time, this journey is shared with others who are not citizens of the country you are studying in. In the two months that I have been sharing with other international students, I can definitely state that I have experienced many interesting facts about different countries without having the need of visiting them. For example, I have tried Vietnamese noodles while having dinner with my Vietnamese friends, learned some Portuguese words in the International Kick Off party, and practice the steps to perform a traditional Hindu dance in Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights.

International sophomore at Augustana College who is pursuing a career in Political Science and History. Enjoys reading romantic novels, baking pastries, strong Nicaraguan coffee and traveling to get to know new cultures better. Passionate about globalization, women's rights and quality education for everyone. Proud member of Sigma Pi Delta social sorority.  "I would like to be remembered as someone who accomplished useful deeds, and who was a kind and loving person. I would like to leave the memory of a human being with a correct attitude and who did her best to help others."                                                        - Grace Kelly.
Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.