This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The season of love is here! And it is full of red, pink, hearts, and anything with “love” on it. If you are in a relationship, it is a time to grow your bond with your partner and woe each other with flowers, romantic dates, and chocolates (all the chocolates). If you are single, that’s not happening. Here are 5 reasons why being single is better than being in a relationship.

Save Money

No dates. No gifts. No nothing. Although couples don’t always spend money when together, being in a relationship is expensive. While couples go out on dates for Valentine’s Day, I will happily be at home reading a book or watching a movie with friends.

More Time with Friends and Family

Instead of planning dates to spend time with a significant other, the free time could be spent building your relationships with your friends and family. Why not spend time with friends and family who already love you?

Don’t Need to Impress

Trying to impress your date by dressing nice is nonexistent when dates are not in your picture. Because I have no significant other in my life, I am free to wear sweatpants and sweatshirts all the time.

No Heartaches

How can you break a heart if I never gave it up in the first place? Relationships are a leap of faith and sometimes they don’t end well. Instead of going through the heartbreak, I will read the heartbreaks of characters in books. Anyone thinking of getting a fictional boyfriend?

Bettering Yourself

A relationship can be a mess of emotions, events, and endings although sometimes we aren’t ready to fully commit. Being in a relationship takes commitment, patience, trust, and love to potentially be successful. Not being ready to be in a relationship is not a punishment but could be a chance to reflect on yourself and grow into a better person.

Despite all these things, I am not saying that this is the almighty guide of why relationships are bad. I still hope to find love one day, but why not embrace being single at the moment? Everyone will have their own opinions and ideas about relationships and singlehood, but whatever happens, Happy Valentine’s Day!

Jessica Manly

Augustana '21

I am passionate about making others happy, problem-solving, and leading others to success with strong communication skills, ambitiously taking the initiative, and am adaptable to new situations. I am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in English and Communication Studies and Associate's Degrees in Multimedia Journalism and Mass Communication as well as Classical Studies. Life is not always easy, but our perseverance and vulnerability help guide us to success.
Augustana Contributor