Wellness > Health

5 Reasons to Be an Athlete at a D3 School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

We all know that we are no big superstar if we have chosen to play a sport at a Division III level. So why play? Where do the perks come in? These are fair questions. I was unsure how to answer them at first. There are many unforeseen perks, though, that make themselves known right away.

1. Teammates: Your teammates will become your immediate support system. Not just a support system, but friends, people you end up eating with, going to parties with, playing video games in your room with….you get the picture. Having that immediate resource is really important and not that common if you are to go to a big school and decide not to play a sport.

2. Sense of Belonging: Being a part of a team, no matter the level, will give you a sense of belonging. You will immediately feel like you have a place at your new college. There will be people holding you accountable to show up places, which can be very important when all you want to do every day is be a hermit. 

3. Stay in Shape: Everyone is afraid of that ominous freshmen 15, right? Participating on any sports team, whether it be D1, D3, or even clubs, you are bound to stay in shape. The intensity may be different between the divisions, but D3 is no different from high school, so you will stay in good shape—your coach will make sure of that. 

4. Focus: Although this one does not seem that fun, being a part of a sports team challenges you to stay focused. It can be easy to get caught up in having free time and being able to go out every weekend, or even every day, as a normal college student may do. This being said, being on a team will force you to stay focused on the weekends at games, meets, matches, etc. This will be a benefit to not only your physical health, but also your schooling. 

5. You Love it: We all forget sometimes that we want to compete in our sports because we love it. You will still love it even when you get to college. The atmosphere changes a lot, but it is still the same sport that you have always loved. Things will be different—teammates, coaches, etc.—but the sport will not change. You may even love it more, with bigger stadiums and higher stakes. That little kid inside you was rooting for this to happen the whole time. Why give that up?

Ana Warkocki

Augustana '21

I'm Ana, I am currently studying Psychology and Communication Studies at Augustana College. I enjoy writing, photography, and listening to Indie music.