This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The dictionary defines feminism as “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes,” or, as “organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.” However, for me, feminism is bigger than these words. It is what allows me to know that my opinion counts and that I can influence the way society develops. It is what provides me with the agency to make the world a better place by defending what I think is right. Without a doubt, feminism inspires. Inspire yourself to have a better start this new year by reading the ideas of these great feminists of our time. 

1. Emma Watson 

“If you stand for equality, then you’re a feminist. Sorry to tell you.”

2. Michelle Obama

“No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens.”

3. Malala Yousafzai

“There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is a third power stronger than both, that of women.”

4. Maya Angelou

“I’m a feminist. I’ve been a female for a long time now. It’d be stupid not to be on my own side.”

5. Hillary Clinton

“Human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights. Let us not forget that among those rights are the right to speak freely—and the right to be heard.”

International sophomore at Augustana College who is pursuing a career in Political Science and History. Enjoys reading romantic novels, baking pastries, strong Nicaraguan coffee and traveling to get to know new cultures better. Passionate about globalization, women's rights and quality education for everyone. Proud member of Sigma Pi Delta social sorority.  "I would like to be remembered as someone who accomplished useful deeds, and who was a kind and loving person. I would like to leave the memory of a human being with a correct attitude and who did her best to help others."                                                        - Grace Kelly.
Augustana Contributor