This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The holiday season feels a lot different this year. Whether it’s the second wave of Covid or the gloomy 2020 attitude, the holiday season is able to make it better because it always seems to have a positive effect on people. People are going to be kinder and start smiling more, even if it is under a mask.

I think if 2020 has taught us anything, it’s just how valuable our time is with the people we love is. When we got sent home from school in March, it was not how I expected to end my sophomore year of college. But I was able to take out one positive thing from that experience… 

I was able to spend three months with my grandparents. This was the most time I’ve spent with them since I graduated from high school. I am a completely different person and they were able to get to know the new woman I’ve become. My grandmother has expressed to me multiple times how grateful she was to see me and spend time with me.

My grandparent’s love is unconditional and unending. The pandemic gave me an opportunity I would have never had to spend this time with my loved ones. Although being away from all of my friends was still hard for me, I was sad; but being reunited with them has been everything. 

I’m grateful for every moment I spend with my friends and family because we never know how much time we have. We never know how long it will be before we see each other again. 

I remember I didn’t hug one of my friends goodbye on the last day before we got sent home because we were so sure we would see each other in two weeks. We didn’t see each other for 22 weeks. 

Being isolated or quarantined takes a toll on one’s mental health as well. I think we all can agree that our mental health this year has truly taken a toll. So as the holidays approach, be extra thankful this season. Hug your family tight, and never forget to express your gratitude to those around you. It’s in our toughest moments we find ourselves surrounded by the ones who will always be there for us. So appreciate them a little extra this year.

A little background about who I am: I am an Augustana College graduate and currently pursuing my masters at the Missouri School of Journalism. My passions include writing, baking, and scrapbooking! If I'm not selling insurance or in class, you can find me in a hammock with reading, writing or meditating. About my goals: I believe that everyone has a voice and I would like to do what I can to help amplify those positive messages. One day, I hope to host my own TV show like Ellen or Oprah! As always, Stay Tuned & Happy Reading!
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!