gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

20 Lessons I’ve Learned by 20 Years Old

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Twenty–two decades–doesn’t seem that big of a number but you can learn so much within 20 years. This ranges from friendships, figuring out who you are, or learning how to use a washing machine. 

So here are 20 things I learned by 20 years old:

1. Say yes to new experiences; say no to Netflix.

2. There is nothing wrong with doing nothing. Ever since I watched the movie Eat Pray Love, I have lived off of the Italian phrase “Dolce far niente,” which means “the sweetness of doing nothing.” In our culture, it seems frowned upon when you decide to want to do nothing, taking a rest, and finding time for yourself. We tend to feel bad not being busy.

3. You’re not everyone’s cup of tea. The reality is we will never be able to make everyone happy and we are not going to be favored or liked by everyone. We find ourselves trying so hard to hide our true selves from friends and any person we meet. Please don’t hide, come out of your shell and you’ll eventually find your crowd.

4. Friends aren’t always forever. I find myself re-evaluating my friendships and considering if this friendship is valuable to both parties. 

5. People aren’t always what they seem to be. This can be a good or bad thing.

6. Speak up! Ask questions and don’t hold back. You can miss out on great discussions and receive much-needed information that you can learn from. 

7. Be kind.

8. Be cautious. As someone who had a father living in an unsafe neighborhood in Chicago, I was always taught to be watchful and take care of myself because nobody else would. You never know who or what you will encounter in your life.

9. Love yourself because it makes a huge difference in how you act and the way you perceive others, which can result in great things in life. 

10.  No one is going to do it for you. Only you can. (it’s okay to ask for help once in a while)

11. I will never like milk no matter how many times I try to drink it.

12.  Don’t be afraid to do things alone. I found myself not wanting to try anything new without my friends, but once I did that I was able to find even more friends and experiences. I wouldn’t be where I am if I had not put myself out there. 

13. Having belly fat isn’t so bad. I used to be so insecure about it but now I will eat a cupcake without thinking twice about my weight (eat in moderation, though).

14.  It is okay to question your beliefs

15. Not everything is about you.

16.  Comparison will ruin you. 

17. You have your limits and boundaries so make it known.

18. Never say never. I found myself doing things my seven-year-old self thought I would never do.

19. Sharing is caring.

20.  Yellow will never be my color, but I will still wear it.

Frida Rocha

Augustana '22

My name is Frida and I am a sophomore at Augustana College who is planning to major in Environmental Studies.
Augustana Contributor