10 Topics Instead of Politics for Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Thanksgiving is coming up, and it’s the time to be with loved ones. Family members arrive at the dinner table after traveling by plane, train and bus to spend quality time together. We all know that the mention of politics is virtually inevitable, especially in the current political climate. Because of this, every person needs to be armed a toolbox full of diversion topics to steer even the most radical aunt in a more pleasant conversational direction. 

1. Relationship Status

An awkward topic that is required to come up at every family gathering. Everybody wants to know if you’ve finally found a significant other, despite all odds in their minds. This is an easy distraction from any sticky political topics, however.  

2. Your Major (or lack thereof)

What are you planning on doing with your life? Is it even going to be worth it? These existential questions are an easy way to redirect the conversation into a more safe direction.  

3. Your Future/Job

Of course your family will want to know your plans for the future and how you plan to support yourself.

4. Climate Change

You may think that this is a controversial topic. But the fact is that yes, global warming is real. This sits in the yellow zone as far as topics go, but can be discussed skillfully.  

5. Your New Tattoo

You’re going to have to defend yourself and your choices for the future, but it’s still better than talking about the impeachment inquiry with questionable relatives.

Image Source: Once Upon a Chef

6. Ripped Jeans

“I bought them distressed. It’s the style these days.”  

7. The Freshman 15

The questions from your family about your health and lifestyle are still less awkward than people arguing about the best presidential candidate.  

8. The Jeffree Starr/Shane Dawson Collab

It’s the duo that everybody is talking about right now. Jeffree and Shane may require a bit of explanation to family members out of the loop, but this is safer territory than other areas.  

9. Crippling College Debt

This is a topic that applies very heavily to any student who’s been to college recently. However, be sure to avoid any policies that presidential candidates have proposed.  

10. Rodrick from Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Finally, a topic that everybody at the dinner table can agree on. The original Rodrick from the earlier movies was by far the best Rodrick. This is the safest option because absolutely nobody will be able to disagree with you.

Aubrey Lathrop

Augustana '23

Aubrey is currently a freshman at Augustana College. She is planning to major in Journalism/Mass Communications in order to share important and fresh news with you!
Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020