YouTube: The Newest Home for Celebrities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Magazine covers are no strangers to the latest actors and actresses on the rise. Musicians and singers with millions of Twitter followers are no surprise to a society with an obsession for all people rich and famous. However, the most recent craze of celebrity fascination is rooted in a different kind of medium: YouTube. YouTubers around the globe upload daily or weekly vlogs (video blogs) to millions of subscribers. They use other forms of social media to interact with their fans. The most popular YouTubers even host events like Playlist Live to spread the importance and impact of the online video format. What’s special about this medium is its ability to connect with viewers around the world in what seems like a one-on-one setting through the computer screen. Here are some of the most famous YouTubers taking advantage of this social technology and using it to create brands, sell out events and more.

Tyler Oakley

Tyler Oakley has more than 5.5 million subscribers on his YouTube channel where he discusses everything from the Kim Kardashian: Hollywood game to chicken nuggets. After gaining popularity on YouTube, Twitter and Tumblr, Oakley began booking other gigs like hosting the after show for MTV’s “Teen Wolf” and interviewing One Direction. He even won for Choice Male Web Star at the Teen Choice Awards this past year. It seems like every week Oakley has a new project such as his first live tour where he has a slumber party event with his fans.

Watch: The Disney Challenge Rematch (featuring Zoella)

Zoe Sugg

Known as Zoella on YouTube, Zoe Sugg is a fashion and beauty vlogger from England. Her blog includes beauty product reviews and interior design tips, while her YouTube channel features fun collaborations with other YouTubers (like her boyfriend Alfie Deyes) along with makeup and hair tutorials. She is also set to release a book this year and just launched a line of beauty products under the name Zoella Beauty. Her busy and successful lifestyle proves that YouTube isn’t just a place for the boys.

Watch: Autumn/Fall Makeup 

Joe Sugg

Keeping it in the family, Joe Sugg is a YouTube personality like his sister Zoe. Under his name of ThatcherJoe, he films videos of a variety of games like shock ball challenges and YouTuber Innuendo Bingo. He also pulls pranks on fellow YouTubers and does impressive impressions for his 2.9 million subscribers. His latest project is a new video competition app he just launched called VidiBee where users can upload short videos and win prizes from the YouTube star.

Watch: Electric Shock Challenge (featuring Pointless Blog)

Caspar Lee

Hailing from South Africa, Caspar Lee shares a variety of things with his viewers that range from doing yoga with a random girl to introducing his younger cousins to One Direction. He recently moved to England to live with fellow YouTuber Joe Sugg, and the pair frequently film collaboration videos. He recently expanded his YouTube talents to other outlets with a guest star role on the online series “Web Therapy” starring Lisa Kudrow. He also filmed a video with “Game of Thrones” star Maisie Williams.

Watch: What Is One Direction?

Rep ImageGif 1Gif 2Gif 3Gif 4

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.