Why New Orleans Is the Perfect Destination for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.
It’s already that time of the semester when we start planning our spring break trip. If you are still looking for the perfect place, one of my all-time favorite destinations is New Orleans, and here is why: 

Weather

Spring is probably the perfect time to visit this Louisiana city. Summers in New Orleans are very hot and humid, but in the spring, you will have ideal weather to enjoy the city as much as possible. But bring an umbrella just in case!

Perfect for Photos

One of my favorite things to do in New Orleans is taking photos. The French Quarter is beautiful and very photogenic and has many spots that are perfect for a photoshoot. Since New Orleans has many walkable areas, it is easy to discover pretty walls, colorful façades and secret passages that can work as the perfect photoshoot spot or as a great snapshot. 

An Easy Drive from Auburn

If you are attending Auburn, or any other university in the area, New Orleans makes the perfect road trip. We are only 5 hours away (which is not a long road trip for a big destination like New Orleans), and you can do all the driving on major highways.

Great Food

Because of its French influence, New Orleans has many unique things to eat. If you like sweets, you are going to love New Orleans’ beignets. My favorite place, Pere Antoine, serves banana foster beignets, which are a delicious twist on the classic. Pralines are also famous in the city and make for a great souvenir, too. 

In the savory department, Po’boys are delicious, and you can find one at probably any restaurant in the city. I personally love the roast beef po’boy from Gumbo Shop. Gumbo, jambalaya and oysters are also famously good in New Orleans. 

Perfect for Parties     

If you like going to clubs, going out for drinks or simply enjoy a night out every now and then, New Orleans has a lot to offer. The famous Bourbon St. is full of bars, clubs and many other options for a night out. And if you are over 21, the Hurricane cocktail from Pat O’Brien is a must on your visit to NOLA! 

If you haven’t been to New Orleans yet, Spring Break is the perfect time to spend a few days in this beautiful city and enjoy all the things that it has to offer. 

Magalí is a senior student at Auburn University. She is Italian-Argentinian but she grew up in Spain where she started her journalism degree. Magalí had the opportunity to join the Erasmus+ Program and spent a semester abroad in Coimbra, Portugal, where she collaborated with their university newspaper 'A Cabra'. She has lived in many countries, including South Korea, Austria and Chile. Magalí is currently finishing her degree at Auburn University. She speaks Spanish, English, Portuguese, Catalan and some French. Besides languages, she also loves organization, photography and cultural diversity. Once she graduates, she would love to work for a magazine writing and working with visual content.