This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Now that midterms are over, everyone has a little more free time. With that free time, you could strengthen your mind through reading. While it may seem boring, there are endless options of books, with at least one that is perfect for everyone. If you still aren’t convinced you could stand reading a whole book for fun, read on to find out why reading is a necessary pastime and how you can incorporate it into your daily life. 

Free travel

Wherever you want to go in the world, there’s a book for it. Whether it be a travel guide or a fiction novel, there is a book that can take you where you want to go for almost free. If you dream about time travel, just search the science fiction or time period sections.

Appreciate the arts and help the world

The National Endowment for the Arts did a study and found that those who read for pleasure were three times more likely to attend concerts and visit museums. Those same people were also twice as likely to do charity or volunteer work. Readers are more likely to be active members in the world around them.

More empathetic

Reading fiction gives us the power to understand what others are thinking by reading their emotions. They allow us to be more empathetic toward others and see things from their perspectives. This impact is much stronger on those who read fiction novels compared to nonfiction novels.

Fight Alzheimer’s

Reading keeps your mind working, which isn’t just good for keeping it smart. Those who read or engage in similar brain exercises could be 2.5 times less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease. Exercising the brain helps combat the brain inactivity that is often an indicator of this disease.

Relaxation

In 2009, a study done by Sussex University showed that reading may reduce stress as much as 64 percent. When the participants read quietly for six minutes, their heart rates decreased and muscles relaxed. Just reading for a short period got patients to levels lower than what they started with.

Here are a few easy tips to get more reading into your life so you too can get the benefits from it.

E-books

Having an E-book is a great way to carry around lots of books at once. You don’t even need a Kindle or Nook, you can download the app and read the books on your phone.

Audio books

Audio books are great for when you don’t have time to sit down and focus on a book. You can listen in the car, while working out, or just walking to class.

Set goals

Once you find a book that you like, go ahead and set a realistic deadline for yourself. The slight pressure will have you reaching for it when you have some free time.

Reading buddy

Having a reading buddy is a good way to stay on track. You can motivate each other to finish a book, or even read the same book together.

Read what interests you

It’s more enjoyable to read a book on a topic you like. Bookstores and libraries have sections labeled, so it’s easy to find one that suits you best.

Library card

Library cards are fun ways to read when you don’t have the extra cash to spend. You can check out books for free and the due date is a good deadline for setting a goal. 

Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.