What the Olympians Eat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

For two weeks straight millions of people were glued to their TV’s. Some may have been watching the actual olympic events, but I bet more of you were more focused on all of those perfect bodies. Of course their extensive training helps to get them in tip top shape, but you can’t expect to train hard and have a diet comprised of cheeseburgers and double stuffed Oreos.
Two of the most famous US olympians, Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte, reportedly consume over 4,000 calories a day, sometimes even up to 10,000. That is at least twice the recommended daily amount. Some of their go to foods include:

Oatmeal: Oatmeal is full of fiber and whole grains which help with keeping you feeling full. It is a nutrient dense food, with only around 150 calories per a cup. I serving may be low in calories but it packs a powerful punch.

Bananas: Easy to eat on the go, bananas are a great pre or post workout snack. They are full of the essential nutrient potassium!

Protein Sources: Protein comprises a large portion of olympians diets. Healthy sources include: eggs, chicken, beans, fish, greek yogurt, and peanut butter. Protein is an essential part of building muscle and Phelps and Lochte sure do have a a lot of muscle.

Pasta: Complex carbohydrates like whole wheat pasta are also a big part of the olympians diets. Carbs provide us with energy and everyone knows that with their training schedules, Phelps and Lochte have got to have lots of energy.

Incorporating any of these foods into your diet will get you on the fast track to looking like am olympian. Here is a banana muffin smoothie recipe that is a delicious and easy way to start the day with a healthy breakfast.

Ingredients:

1 cup swim milk + 1/4 cup for blending
1 frozen banana
2 TBSP regular oats
1 TBSP raisins
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBSP raw walnuts
1 scoop chocolate of vanilla protein powder (optional)
Pinch of cinnamon

Directions:

1. The night before, combine all ingredients into a glass, stir, and put in the fridge
2. In the morning, pour glass into blender, add the banana, additional 1/4 cup skim milk and blend until smooth.

Yields: about 2 cups

Each serving provides:
6g fiber
6g protein (more if you add protein powder)
40% RDA of calcium
18% RDA iron and vitamin C

(RDA= recommended daily allowance)

Upton, Julie. “How to Eat like a U.S. Olympian.” CBSNews. CBS Interactive, 10 Aug. 2012. Web. 25 Aug. 2012. <http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57490996/how-to-eat-like-a-u.s-olympian/>.

Recipe from:
Vogel, Leanne. “Sleepy Banana Muffin Smoothie.” – Healthful Pursuit. N.p., 5 Feb. 2011. Web. 25 Aug. 2012. <http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/02/sleepy-banana-muffin-smoothie/>.

Photo credited to
http://ryanseacrest.com/2012/07/29/are-you-team-phelps-or-team-lochte/

Summer is a currently a senior student at Auburn University. As a journalism major she actively enjoys writing and is the co-founder and current Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus branch at Auburn, as well as a writer for the Greek newspaper The Odyssey. In addition, Summer is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, PRSSA and the Society of Professional Journalists. Summer loves fashion and enjoys blogging about her personal style.