Career

Want a Raise? Take The Advice From TV’s $20 Million Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Who needs McDreamy when you’re the highest paid actress on primetime drama? In March 2007, ABC debuted a medical drama titled Grey’s Anatomy by Shonda Rhimes that turned out to be an instant hit. Everybody, especially those involved, were over the moon.

Everybody, that is, except for the series’ star, Ellen Pompeo, who had all the intentions of becoming a movie star. She remembers telling CAA’s Rick Kurtzman, “I’m not going to be stuck on a medical show for five years.” But by 2004, her movie career had stalled and she decided to audition only to “pay the rent.”

It is now 2018 and Pompeo has been “stuck on a medical show” for fourteen years. After signing her new deal in late 2017, which not only made her dramatic televisions highest-earning actress but covers Grey’s current season and an additional two more seasons. Pompeo earns $575,000 per episode, along with a seven-figure signing bonus and other things that estimated to bring in another $6-7 million. WOW.

So, I know you’re wondering: how did a girl from a blue-collar, mob-ridden Boston suburb get to be this successful?

Well, not only does she have TV powerhouse and Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes to back her up, but also she learned one key to salary negotiation early on: ask for what you think you’re worth.

Pompeo told The Hollywood Reporter that men go into negotiations “hard and ask for the world.” She also said, “Women must do the same, eschewing the perspective of not being deserving or not asking for fear of upsetting others. Rather than worry about being perceived as greedy, women must assess what they believe their worth to be, and ask for it. No one will give it to you if you don’t ask for it.”

From recently winning a Harper Avery Award for her hit show, Ellen Pompeo can clearly do it all from acting, to producing to being a pro negotiator.

Taylor is a Junior studying journalism with a Spanish minor at Auburn University, and after graduation plans to attend law school to pursue a career in fim focusing on legal affairs. In addition, Taylor is also a member of the Kappa Upsilon chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. When she isn't doing school work, she enjoys binge watching Grey's Anatomy, working out, and shopping. Some of her favorite things include traveling, going to concerts, and going out with her line sisters.
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.