This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

On Valentine’s Day almost every girl (and guy) wants chocolate. And who can deny the taste of basically the best food on this planet on its most commercialized day of the year? It’s like trying to not watch the Super Bowl if you live in the U.S. I really tried, but as soon as I heard Katy Perry I ran to my living room to sit directly in front of the television. But no one should feel social pressure to have to buy something like a box of chocolates, or a big fat engagement ring for that matter, to feel like you did Valentine’s Day the “right” way. So here are three ways to get your chocolate fix on Valentine’s Day without killing your “clean eats” diet, buying lame premade chocolate candies, or just supporting the commercialization of love in general. Take that, Hallmark!

Put chocolate in every course of dinner.

The cocoa bean was not meant for dessert only, and there are plenty of recipes out there that include unsweetened cocoa.  Cocoa adds a new depth of flavor to chilis, meat rubs, and sauces. Whether you are cooking dinner as a way to relax, for your significant other, or all of your best friends, it would be interesting to see all of the ways the cocoa flavor comes out in every course! And if you are having guests, tell them about it as a “fun fact” before dinner as a way to get conversations flowing, and you can all become professional foodies, finding your new favorite ways to use cocoa.

Eggplant Caponata

Asado de Bodas (Pork in Red Chile Sauce)

Include it in your healthy recipes too.

Cocoa is surprisingly really healthy! I hate it when chocolate gets the blame for obesity, acne, or stress. The real culprit in those cases are granulated sugar! Unsweetened cocoa is an antioxidant that helps function of anti-inflammatory response. It also includes “3 to 9 percent of the recommended daily intake of iron, manganese, magnesium and zinc” according to SF Gate’s website. Make a rub using cayenne, cocoa, and chili powder and garlic for any lean meat or just add it to your next protein shake (I put some in my oatmeal and mix in a diced pear and pecans).

Quinoa and Black Eyed Pea Chili

Support a chocolate company who actually needs it.

If you want to buy into the holiday (I will probably give in again.) by purchasing chocolate candies or dessert or clothes or jewelry, at least buy it from a local business. If everyone would buy locally for all the big holidays, our economy would probably be doing much better, so act on the holiday as an excuse to support local business.  Hershey’s and Dove don’t need the love! Wow, that rhymed…okay, cool. Also, the gift will be more thoughtful and more likely a better quality. I already told my boyfriend to buy me some Mama Mocha’s Coffee at the Market of Blooming Colors. Amsterdam Café, Acre, and Hamilton’s would all be restaurants for a splurge! Just make sure to make reservations ahead of time! 

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Cover Image 

Lindy Olive is known for being a foodie health-nut hybrid, who thinks the best things in life happen in the kitchen. She is a senior at Auburn University, majoring in Nutrition & Wellness and minoring in Sustainability. She wrote for Her Campus Auburn for three years before taking on a role as Campus Corespondent. If you ever need her, you can find her in front of a computer, in a garden, or at the gym. Lindy likes to dream big, and right now, that dream consists of owning a garden-bakery while writing agriculture public policy or working for a test kitchen. When she isn't thinking about food, which is apparently rare, she is hiking with her boyfriend and dog, on a feminist rant, or having deep conversations with her best friends Bailey and Melissa.