This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Randy Fawcett, a sophomore in mechanical engineering, knows life is more than just the ups and downs—it’s the climb. Fawcett has been travelling around the world of climbing for nine years now, and has been competing for eight of those. Since climbing has been a part of his life since childhood, it brings back great memories.

“There was a climb I did a while back. It was outside at the Red River Gorge called ‘Amarillo Sunset.’ Walking up to it, it was a beautiful slab of rock right on the edge of a little valley. …  It wasn’t by any means the hardest climb I’d ever done, but it was one of the most beautiful climbs I’d done.”

Fawcett climbs both competitively and leisurely, inside and out. His primary focuses include sport climbing, which are events that use ropes such as top-roping. He also focuses on bouldering, where no ropes are used. To him, climbing is more than a sport or hobby, it’s a way of life.

“Climbing, to me, is an escape. When you’re climbing it becomes just you and the wall. It takes your whole mind and body leaving no room for anything else,” Fawcett said.

To many, climbing may seem too intimidating to attempt as a late beginner. However, Fawcett readily encourages anyone interested to head to the climbing wall at the gym and give it a try. The club focuses primarily on competing, and climbing workouts and technical clinics are held to help people increase in skill. As a coach for Auburn’s climbing club, Fawcett is well versed in helping people reach new heights.

“It’s a really great community, and since there are different experience categories that people can compete in, we welcome climbers of all abilities.”

For beginners, Fawcett has a few starting recommendations: “Ask for help, use your legs, and trust the gear. Climbers are notoriously chill people and we’re always willing to help. It can be intimidating sometimes but just ask around, I can’t stress that enough.”

If you’re interested in seeing what the climbing club is up to, officers can be reached at climbin@auburn.edu, or Fawcett recommends heading to the wall since there is almost always someone from the club there.

I'm a chemical engineering major with an intense passion for chemistry puns. I believe words hold more power than people give them credit and should always be used wisely.