Studying Abroad: Studying Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Studying abroad is one of the most rewarding experiences a college student can have—and I say this, as someone who spent this past summer studying in London having the best time of my life.  While the obvious benefits include getting to see famous and beautiful cites, eating (hopefully) great food, meeting new people, and having an ‘adventure’ all with the added perk of getting academic credit hours, there is a much greater gain in the end: you find your sense of self.  As cliché as this may sound, there is an immense amount of truth in it, and it seems vital that this is recognized in order for you to return home with more than just pictures and jet lag.  So, as you begin your study abroad journey keep these tips in mind to make sure you get the most out this life-changing experience as you can.

Say Goodbye

I don’t just mean to your parents at the airport, I mean everyone and everything.  Being planted in a new, unfamiliar country might have you scrambling for the comfort of familiarity – but resist it.  This is your chance to branch out when it comes to people, food, routines, fears, clothes, opinions, languages, etc. and doing so will test your ability to adapt.  This could also show you that you’re able to handle more than you thought, that you actually prefer a different routine or way of life than you’ve grown up with, or that you just really like the way things are done at home – and that’s perfect.  The point isn’t to change yourself, but to free yourself of the outside influences of home that you’ve always lived with in order to learn something about yourself.  Just be sure to let your parents know you’re still alive from time to time.

Soak It Up

Going along with embracing new experiences and cultures, be sure you are getting the most out of it.  This really could mean so many different things for different people, but here is an example.  When you go to a museum or historical cite don’t just roam around without purpose, think about what you’re seeing.  How would it affect your life today if what you’re viewing didn’t ever exist?  What about a particular painting stirs you? Would you want a piece of art like that in your home one day?  How long did it take that architect to build or sculpt their work? Can you imagine yourself ever being so devoted to a passion or project?  These sorts of reflections can actually lead to some significant personal insight.

Do What You Want

Don’t let other people choice for you what you see and do throughout your trip, whether it be a guide book, your roommate, or your professor (obviously, you can’t riot against your professor’s rules, but still).  If you really don’t want to go see The Tower of London, The Coliseum, or The Great Wall of China, then don’t. Take a picture from the distance and spend your time doing something you’ll actually enjoy or take more away from.  And hey, if that means going to a pub or eating pasta, that’s just fine.  While it’s important to experience a place for all it’s worth, there’s no point in doing anything you don’t want to when you only have a limited time to do everything you truly want to do.  It’s also important not to do anything just because it’s trendy and all your study abroad companions are doing it, and vice versa.  Don’t go to the underground, super-hip, not-well-known-by-tourists café if you’d feel more comfortable going to the well-rated place in a touristy neighborhood.  Go to the science museum even if your friends think it’s lame.  Just don’t base your choices on what other people think you ‘should’ be doing.

Accept It

At the end of your semester abroad you will have probably learned some new things about yourself and may have made some realizations or decisions on things you weren’t expecting – and some of these may be tough. What’s vital is to accept these changes, otherwise the journey that has led you to reach this point will be wasted.  I went to London with a boyfriend and came home with an understanding that the relationship wasn’t what I wanted or needed anymore.  I had learned to enjoy being on my own, had a few of my outlooks on life turned on their heads, and ultimately, I grew up and grew past my relationship.  So, I came home and had to face this tough realization, and I felt good about myself for doing so.  Whatever realizations you make, it’s important to accept them, even embrace them, in order to find that holy grail of yourself.

Ultimately, if you are studying abroad this semester, or any time in the future, be sure to look beyond the surface value of the experience you are undertaking and be ready to learn some things you would never have expected. Bon voyage!

Junior Creative Writing Major at Auburn University