photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

February is dominated by Valentine’s Day and Galentine’s Day, but what about the other 26 days? If pink hearts and roses just aren’t your thing, then at least there are so many options (many of which include yummy desserts and alcohol!) to get you through the shortest month of the year.

February 5 – National Weatherperson’s Day

If there’s a weatherperson who is loved more than James Spann, please let me know because I honestly don’t think there is. This guy keeps us safe, so I’m happy there’s a day that we can honor all he does and all he teaches us. Even if we turn him and his teachings into memes, we all respect the polygon!

February 6 – National Chopsticks Day

Whether this is your excuse to order takeout or your excuse to learn this skill (ahem, me), today is easy to celebrate! Show off your skills or put them to better use by teaching all your friends who don’t know how to use them. 

February 7 – Send a Card to a Friend Day

I love stationery, but I hardly ever have the time to use it besides holidays and birthdays. Since this is now a holiday on my calendar, all my friends can expect a card around this day, full of love and stickers!

February 8 – Kite Flying Day

It could be too cold to do this, but you never know with Alabama weather. If it’s surprisingly warm or you don’t mind the cold, head on over to one of Auburn’s beautiful parks to take part in this nostalgic activity!

February 9 – National Pizza Day

Okay but how is this not a holiday that’s as big as Valentine’s Day? Even better, this year it’s on a Friday, so gather your friends and loved ones to partake in this cheesy and delicious holiday while you binge watch Friends for the 100th time.

February 10 – Umbrella Day

This dog clearly loves its umbrella, and we should too (or at least appreciate it). How else are we able to keep ourselves and our backpacks full of important things dry (and don’t even say raincoats because those barely keep a person dry)?

February 11 – Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day

While this can be taken literally or figuratively, today is that day to try and follow the phrase. Personally, I’m clumsy and sensitive, so me spilling milk and crying about it wouldn’t be a rare sight. If you feel this, let’s unite to not let mistakes bring us down!

February 12 – Clean Out Your Computer Day

My keyboard is covered in crumbs from all my snacking while watching Netflix in my bed, and I’m pretty sure that sticky section is from my candy-covered fingers hitting the space bar to pause it for bathroom breaks. If you can’t relate, lucky you, but maybe you should put those random files into folders for easy searching.

February 13 – World Radio Day

I really only use my car radio when I’m making trips short enough to not need my Spotify up, but I think it deserves a bit more love. We get so many cool things from radio, like news, weather and of course amazing jams. Turn it up every once in a while, some commercials could do you good!

February 14 – Ferris Wheel Day

I LOVE ferris wheels. Those are one of my favorite attractions at fairs, mainly because they don’t go fast and they aren’t scary. Plus, how cool is that view from up there? Make sure you definitely check one out in the summer, the night time views are to die for!

February 15 – Singles Awareness Day

If you find yourself single in the month of love, don’t worry, there’s a day for you too! Buy that discount candy, grab a bottle of wine and TREAT YO SELF! You’re awesome and you don’t need a relationship to make yourself happy. 

February 16 – Do a Grouch a Favor Day

Step one: find your local grouch (your neighbor, a teacher or even yourself). Step two: do a nice favor! It can be taking the trash out, bringing them flowers, baking a cake or helping them bring groceries inside. Anything that will make them smile is worth it today (and any day)!

February 17 – Random Acts of Kindness Day

Much similar to the day before, today is a day for all the other people you didn’t help yet! Make a big difference by volunteering or making a donation, or make a small change like what you did yesterday. Bring smiles to everyone you see!

February 18 – National Drink Wine Day

Is this not the best day ever? Since it’s on a Sunday, that means it calls for a fancy and classy (or not) brunch meal with your girls! Skip the usual mimosas or Bloody Marys, because wine pairs well with everything.

February 19 – National Chocolate Mint Day

Mint chocolate desserts are divine. They’re refreshing, sweet and underrated. Besides ice cream, things like brownies, cookies, cakes and cheesecakes all have recipes starring this iconic flavor combo. My personal favorite is plain mint chocolate chip ice cream!

February 20 – Love Your Pet Day

Honestly, this day is everyday, but it’s a good excuse to post a cuddling picture of my roommate’s cat and I. These fur babies deserve all the love all the time, but make today extra special with a yummy treat or extra playtime. They put up with so much, give them a reward!

February 21 – Card Reading Day

If you sent a card to a friend earlier in the month, a fun way to celebrate both holidays is to make them wait until today to read it! The anticipation will build, and you’ll have something new to talk about when you call or text. Keep your long distance friendship or your down-the-street friendship strong! 

February 22 – National Margarita Day

Another amazing day to celebrate alcohol! Since it’s on a Thursday, make it Taco Thursday and hit up one of the many Mexican restaurants in Auburn with your gals and grab that yummy margarita. Just make sure you have a designated driver or can leave your car in a safe area!

February 23 – International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day

These little treats make it easy to show you care about your pooch, so yes, we should appreciate them! Today would be a great opportunity to make some homemade dog treats for that special fluff in your life. Check out Pinterest for some great recipes!

February 24 – National Tortilla Chip Day

I have a guilty pleasure: queso. What goes good with queso? Tortilla chips! Celebrate today by making some yummy nachos, or your favorite dip, and grab your bag of favorite chips. This is perfect for those late night study sessions when you need that cheesy and salty snack.

February 25 – National Chocolate Covered Nuts Day

Chocolate covered versions of things always taste better than the original versions, and nuts are no exception. Almonds, peanuts, cashews, any kind of nuts! You can make your own or splurge with a bag from Walmart, but take the time to enjoy this delicious treat.

February 26 – Tell a Fairytale Day

Fairytale books aren’t just for kids! Whether you pick up your childhood favorite or browse the bookstore for a new find, there’s nothing like forgetting your world of tests and homework to go into one full of princesses and magic!

February 27 – Polar Bear Day

These arctic buddies are precious, and are in danger. Let’s appreciate them while we still can, before it’s too late. Do something to help them, or make a wish at 11:11 that we figure out how to keep them around. Because come on, how cute is this little guy’s face? 

February 28 – Floral Design Day

Celebrate the last day of the month with some beautiful flowers! I have the opportunity to celebrate with a creation of mine from Auburn’s floral design class, but if you can’t, pick up some bunches from Walmart and stick those beauties in a vase. Remember that nature and life are beautiful, no matter how crazy the world seems.

Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.