Runway Ready Collegiettes: Simply Chic Hair and Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Okay ladies, College Fashion Week is right around the corner. It will be kicked off in Orlando next weekend and will be in Auburn on October 11th! With that being said, it’s time to discuss model-status hair and make-up. I am happy to say that I will be the hair stylist at the show, so this post is for me as much as you. Last week I talked about fall fashion trends. So this week, we’ll girl talk all about fall hair and make-up trends that are perfect if you want to add some fun to everyday college style!

50 Shades of Red

Although matte red lips are classy (and I love the look), keep it fresh this fall by going a few shades darker or even pinker . The newest fall lip colors are orange, burgundy, and magenta. Remember –make sure to pick the shade that matches your skin tone and don’t overdo it by adding heavy eye makeup. If you are scared to go all out, like completely orange, choose a red color that has orange undertones.

Speaking of Matte Lips…

Try a matte face. Yes, you read that right! It supposedly makes you have the perfect complexion. Stylists are calling the look modern and divine. Basically, keep everything neutral with no shine. My tip is to add a little contrast on the cheeks to keep it warm and natural. Achieve it by using bronzer as blush or using a blush with shimmer.

(She added shimmer with her eye shadow)

Okay, I Guess I Lied

Another trend this fall is to go completely bare and glowing! If matte isn’t a look your comforable going for, add a little brightness. To achieve this look, mix together your moisturizer and foundation. It allows for the shine of the moisturizer to show, along with adding color and coverage. Easy, right? Add a little mascara, some lip balm, and a creamy blush to call it done.

Flower Power…Sort Of

I don’t know what you call the little bun, but it’s adorable (and reminds me of a flower). Try wavy, messy hair half up, braided with a little bun.  Put your hair in two braids and secure them in the middle. Use the pieces that are hanging from the middle to make a little messy bun, and pin it where the ends of the braid meet. You might want to tease those pieces before putting them into the bun. Then take pieces coming out from under the little bun to make the other braid. Tease and mess it up as you please.

The Faux Hawk

I have been so tempted to chop my hair off with all the celebs doing it lately, but I decided it really isn’t for me. I also discovered the faux hawk, which is just a bold as going short. Basically, you braid your hair to make it look edgy and chic. Or you can try the faux bob, click here for a tutorial.

For the mohawk look, make two parts, one on each side of your head. Now take the center section (this will be the mohawk portion), and pull it up into a bun to save for later. Take the leftover hair on each side of your hair and slick it back or make tight braids to the back of your head.  Make sure to pin it or secure it with a ponytail holder. Now take the middle, and tease it and spray it until it will hold the amount of volume you prefer. Option one: Tack up the existing ponytail and French braid the mohawk section to cover up the pony, then tuck in the French braid as well. Option two: add the newly french braided section  to the rest of the ponytail, then tease and smooth. Option three: Add the newly french braided section to the rest of the ponytail, then pull it up into a messy bun. Secure it tightly and tug on the braid until it looks full. Now spray it down, and you are completely rocker chic. (This look would be great for those days you decide not to wash your hair.)

Sleek is Chic

The last trend that you should be trying is slicked back hair. It’s kind of like the whole retro ’20s curls look, except now you are keeping it straight, and you are slicking it straight back. To keep this look relaxed, try putting hairspray in your hand and smooth it in your hair to the crown of your head until you can see some shine. If you want extra volume, add some soft waves at the bottom.

That’s all the trends I have for you today! Will you try one on campus or going out? Let us see your favorite look by using the hashtag #CFWAuburn. 

cover image

image 1

image 2

image 3

image 4

image 5

image 6

image 7

image 8

image 9

image 10

image 11

Lindy Olive is known for being a foodie health-nut hybrid, who thinks the best things in life happen in the kitchen. She is a senior at Auburn University, majoring in Nutrition & Wellness and minoring in Sustainability. She wrote for Her Campus Auburn for three years before taking on a role as Campus Corespondent. If you ever need her, you can find her in front of a computer, in a garden, or at the gym. Lindy likes to dream big, and right now, that dream consists of owning a garden-bakery while writing agriculture public policy or working for a test kitchen. When she isn't thinking about food, which is apparently rare, she is hiking with her boyfriend and dog, on a feminist rant, or having deep conversations with her best friends Bailey and Melissa.