Runway to Campus: Spring 2013 Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Today, we mourn the loss of our beloved Christmas break and accept the reality that spring semester has arrived and is here to stay. Well, for four months anyway! With this past fall semester gone in the blink an eye, so have the trends. From sheer, pastel-colored chiffon tops to chevron everything, I’m sure most of you are interested what this upcoming spring has to offer campus beyond the typical furry-vests-paired-with-leggings-and-riding-boots trend that pervades campus this time of year. 

Look no further, ladies. I have scoured fashion blog after fashion blog and, while I may not be a professional, it doesn’t take a professional to tell you what the hot trends will be this spring. With the help of my friend Alexis and a little Tyra Banks wisdom that I learned from “America’s Next Top Model,” I set out on a mission to show my fellow Auburn ladies what they should be decking themselves out in this spring. 

1. Stripes

From chic and contemporary Marc Jacobs tops to stunning chevron-print gowns by Oscar de la Renta, stripes have been owning the runway this year. Pair a simple striped sweater from Target, JCrew, or Old Navy with dark denim, a great scarf, and a cute side-bag and you look instantly classic. You can’t go wrong with stripes!

2. Prints

Going out or going to work, you can test your fashion limits by pairing a simple top with a patterned pant from stores such as Charlotte Russe, Target, Old Navy, etc. or vice-versa. Add a pop of color with shoes or a statement necklace from a boutique downtown and you are instantly dressed to impress. Perfect for a night out with the girls, a casual dinner date, or keepin’ it sassy in the office! 

3. Pops of Color, Peplum, and White… Oh my!

There is no denying peplum’s presence on Auburn’s campus and the runway this season. Flattering to virtually every body type and giving off a retro flair, peplum is a trend that any girl can get behind. What makes this peplum top from Kohl’s Vera Wang collection even more chic is the white color and the pop from Alexis’s purple cords, also from Kohl’s. Even bigger than stripes, white is a major trend this season. Don’t save it just for your wedding day and sorority rituals, ladies! Colored pants were a major style this fall and it looks like its here to stay, so don’t tuck your brightly-colored jeans in the closet just yet!

What is your favorite trend for the spring? Let me know!

Photo Credits: