Roll with the Tide! Southern Tide That Is! Campus Rep, Emily Levinson Shows You How!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Unlike most students on Auburn’s campus, sophomore, Emily Levinson, actually has a “tide” worth talking about! Don’t worry, the tide I’m referring to doesn’t involve red, white, and hound’s-tooth, whatsoever! Emily is actually one of Auburn’s campus representatives for the clothing brand, Southern Tide! Between the free merch and the fun events to promote the clothes, this girl holds a position any fashionista would envy!

HC Auburn: What is your major/minor?
Emily: Interior Design with a minor in Business

HC Auburn: What does a campus representative do?
Emily: There are two Auburn Southern Tide “Campus Ambassadors” (myself and Tyler Combs) and together we promote Southern Tide on campus. We represent the line, hold promotional events on campus, help the local retailer, The Locker Room, with trunk shows, provide Southern Tide with feedback, and participate in conference calls that our Senior Ambassador holds for the reps in the area.

HC Auburn: What process did you go through to become a campus representative for Southern Tide?
Emily: The process to become an ambassador took awhile, but was fairly simple. There was an application that I had to fill out, I emailed constantly with various Senior Ambassadors and staff, and had a phone interview.

HC Auburn: How long have you been a campus representative?
Emily: I found out Spring 2011 that I was selected as an ambassador, but I really just started this fall.

HC Auburn: What made you decide to represent Southern Tide as opposed to other brands and companies?
Emily: I looked at other companies that I considered representing, but Southern Tide is really special to me. It’s an up and coming brand that is still in the early stages and it was exciting for me to be able to be a part of their team. Their ladies’ line is just starting to grow and it was something that I knew I wanted to be a part of. It’s also headquartered out of South Carolina (where I’m from) and my family owns a clothing store in Columbia, SC called Brittons that was Southern Tide’s second account. The creator of Southern Tide, Alan Stephenson, and his co-founder, Diane Stephenson (his mom), are family friends and told me that she wanted to see more female ambassadors. Overall, it was just a really good fit for me. Plus, I think the quality and aesthetic of the clothing is unrivaled.

HC Auburn: What is your favorite part about being a campus representative?
Emily: I think my favorite part about being a campus rep is how it allows me to meet people so easily. I am always promoting the line and whenever I see someone wearing a Southern Tide shirt around campus, I have to make a comment. Just through that and through events, I have met so many new people and that’s really enjoyable.

HC Auburn: Are there any upcoming events on campus that will be held for Southern Tide?
Emily: Yes! I’m meeting with the other ambassadors and The Locker Room this week to plan our upcoming event. Join our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/AUSouthernTide for updates. You can also shop for any Southern Tide products at The Locker Room (on East Magnolia downtown) or shop online at www.southerntide.com.

HC Auburn: What are the benefits to being a campus representative?
Emily: Southern Tide likes their campus ambassadors to represent the line, and part of that involves us wearing the clothing so they do make sure that we have some of their clothes to wear around campus and for events. We also get koozies, croakies, stickers, hats, keychains, etc. to hand out during events.

HC Auburn: Are you involved with anything else on campus?
Emily: I am in Delta Gamma and hold a director position there. I am also secretary of Hillel (Auburn’s Jewish Student Organization). I’m also a member of the American Society of Interior Designers, as well as International Interior Design Association. I’m a member of the Honors Congress and National Society of Collegiate Scholars. I also volunteer with Impact, and am always looking for more ways to get involved.

HC Auburn: What advice would you give to others hoping to be a campus representative?
Emily: I would tell others to definitely try it out if there’s a brand they feel passionate for. Tons and tons of clothing lines and companies hire campus reps and it’s a great way to get involved, meet people, and rack up some cool gear. So far I’ve really enjoyed it!

I'm a Sophomore at Auburn University majoring in Apparel Merchandising
Summer is a currently a senior student at Auburn University. As a journalism major she actively enjoys writing and is the co-founder and current Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus branch at Auburn, as well as a writer for the Greek newspaper The Odyssey. In addition, Summer is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, PRSSA and the Society of Professional Journalists. Summer loves fashion and enjoys blogging about her personal style.