The Road Less Traveled: Study Abroad in the Middle East

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Summer is the perfect time to study abroad, and for most people Europe is the dream destination. But for our guest contributor Cheniece Richardson, the mainstream path to European travel just wasn’t unique enough. Here is her story of a three week trip to the lessfrequently visited Middle East. 

My journey began on Tuesday, May 14th at 2am. I was going on my study abroad trip to Amman, Jordan. Our program, “Auburn Tigers Study Abroad in Jordan,” was for Middle Eastern culture and hospitality immersion. Three flights stood between me and my international trip. Atlanta to Miami to London to Amman. I was nervous, excited, and at a loss for what to expect. I checked my bag for my passport three times then I confidently set off for my new adventure.

Why Jordan? I wanted to experience something unfamiliar. I wanted to begin to learn a new language. I wanted to be fully immersed in a new culture. Many classmates and friends were concerned for my safety and confused by my desire to embrace the Middle East. I am sad to report that words like “terrorist” and “Muslims” spat off their tongues and left bad tastes in their mouths. I wanted to challenge my daily habits and beliefs. I wanted new scenery. In the words of Liz from my favorite book Eat Pray Love, “I want to marvel at something.” I wanted to take the road less traveled, which landed me in the Middle East.

I stepped off the plane in Amman and it hit me that I would be living in a foreign country for three weeks. All of a sudden English had become the secondary language and the second translation on signage. Women were covered head to toe and men were greeting and kissing each other on the lips. Entire families gathered to celebrate the arrivals of friends and family coming home for the summer months. Jordanian graduates of various international universities received warm welcomes with signs and dancing (I missed the dancing) to congratulate their success. All of this was happening while I was motionless taking it all in. Questions such as, “Do they know I don’t belong here?” “Where do I get my currency and visa?” and “Will they be able to understand me? / Will I be able to understand them?” began to fill my head.  Yes, if the lost puppy look didn’t give it away the American dress and belongings did. Open your eyes; the visa and currency stations are the first areas you come across. I talk way too fast and the Jordanian version of TSA can speak only enough English to get them through the day. A quick “Currency,” “Passport for System,” and “Stamped” sent me on my way!

Over the next few weeks I was fully immersed in the Middle Eastern culture from food to learning the Arabic language. The people were so caring and were always delighted to see travelers in their country. During the course of our trip, we traveled to the Roman Decapolis city Jerash, Ajloun Castle, the Dead Sea, Jesus’ baptism site, the ancient city Umm Qais, the port city Aqaba, Irbid, Madaba, Wadi al-Mujib, Karak Castle, and Petra. Our trip included various activities like shopping in downtown markets, climbing historic ruins, hiking through a water reserve, and enjoying the Jordanian beaches, all while stationed in Amman.

Trying on a traditional dress at a local family’s house in Irbid

Students at the Holiday Inn Dead Sea Resort after our beach mini-vacation.

Floating on the Dead Sea

Presenting a Certificate of Appreciation to Dean Muhsen Makhamreh of Jordan Applied University of Hospitality and Tourism.

This program taught me about the cultural, political, social, and economic facets of Jordan and the broader Middle East region. I was able to experience the history, customs, and hospitality of the Jordanian people. This study abroad program is different from others in that we participated in a traditional classroom-like experience at Jordan Applied University College of Hospitality and Tourism Education but were also able to travel and gain our own experiences at the tourism sites and with the Jordanian people. It was very helpful that our on-site professor was Jordanian; he was able to help with translations and getting us around the country. I would highly suggest this program to any Auburn Student. For students at other universities, I would also suggest exploring study abroad, or even travel options, in the Middle East! As-Salaam Alakium (Peace be unto you)!

Images courtesy of Cheniece Richardson

Summer is a currently a senior student at Auburn University. As a journalism major she actively enjoys writing and is the co-founder and current Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus branch at Auburn, as well as a writer for the Greek newspaper The Odyssey. In addition, Summer is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, PRSSA and the Society of Professional Journalists. Summer loves fashion and enjoys blogging about her personal style.