President of PRSSA, Carolyn Rush and How You Can Get Involved!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The Public Relations Student Society of America is the perfect organization for those either majoring in Public Relations or those who are simply eager to learn more about the field. Sarasota, Florida native and Auburn PRSSA president, Carolyn Rush, tells HC all about the organization’s purpose as well as what sort of events they hold throughout the year!

HC Auburn: What is your major/minor (if applicable)
Carolyn: Senior Public Relations major, minor in Spanish.

HC Auburn: What type of job are you hoping to get after you graduate from Auburn?
Carolyn: I hope to get a job in an agency setting right out of college and hopefully do the “big city” PR phenomenon. Later in life I hope to be an entrepreneur and either start up my own PR firm or own a restaurant.

HC Auburn: What is PRSSA? Is it open to all students?
Carolyn: PRSSA actually just joined with PRCA to make the largest student run organization in the Department of Communication & Journalism. Public Relations Student Society of America, or PRSSA, is the largest PR student organization nationwide and offers countless benefits for students preparing them for post-graduation life and connects them with professionals in whatever region they are interested. Public Relations Council of Alabama, or PRCA, offers a different appeal for students. If you wish to network with professionals here in the state of Alabama, PRCA offers workshops and unique community involvement for members.

HC Auburn: What are some of the things PRSSA does around campus?
Carolyn: Only being three years old we have come a long way in such a short time. Last year we had our first event, PR For Dummies allowing students, faculty and members of the community to come and learn how to plan an event, fundraise their business or organization, participate in media relations and how to use social media for a purpose. We are just about to have our next event, Pups and Pops, where we are partnering with the local non profit adoption shelter, For Paws and the new coffee shop in Opelika, The Overall Company. For $5 anyone can come, play with and potentially adopt the dogs and get an artisan popsicle courtesy of our new friends at the Overall Company.

HC Auburn: Which event held by PRSSA do you enjoy the most?
Carolyn: I have really enjoyed planning Pups & Pops just because it is a great way for all three organizations to get recognition and publicity. We are so excited to be working with these two businesses and hope that we can incorporate non profit efforts in the future.

HC Auburn: What has being a part of PRSSA meant to you?
Carolyn: PRSSA has really meant everything in my collegiate professional career. There is a great community within the members. I have gotten all three of my internships through the club and met so many great professional contacts. There is no doubt in my mind that this has been the most beneficial thing I could’ve done in college for my career.

HC Auburn: What other organizations/groups are you involved with on campus?
Carolyn: Alongside being president of PRSSA/PRCA I am a also a project coordinator for IMPACT and lead volunteers at the East Alabama Food Bank and I am a member of the social sorority, Alpha Delta Pi.

HC Auburn: How can Auburn students become a part of PRSSA?
Carolyn: Anyone can be a member of PRSSA/PRCA! It is not at all a PR specific club, in fact we strongly suggest people of all majors join; especially Communication, Journalism, Marketing and RTVF. 

If you are intersted in PRSSA please contact Carolyn at auburnprssa@gmail.com or cdr0007@tigermail.auburn.edu

Ali Hudson (Membership Director), Laura Serota (Vice President), Mason Black (PR Liaison), Anna Francis (PR Director), Carolyn Rush (President) 

Carolyn Rush and Jay Pritchard, owner of Overall Company which sponsors PRSSA’s event, Pups and Pops

I'm a Sophomore at Auburn University majoring in Apparel Merchandising