The Pluses and Minuses of Auburns Grading System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

As if making an A at Auburn University wasn’t already hard enough, rumor has it that the Academic Standards Committee has been exploring the possibility of changing Auburn’s grading system from whole letter grading to the plus/minus system which has got me like… Auburn currently ranks number five in the top five hardest colleges/universities to make an A-, trailing behind Boston University, MIT, Princeton, and the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Although we’re the only university in Alabama without the plus/minus system, this tragic event cannot happen. 

And for those who don’t think this is a big deal, trust me, it is. With a plus/minus system, in order to fully receive an A, or 4 quality points for the class, you would have to make a 93 rather than a 90, and so on. So for those of you who tend to make borderline grades by the skin of your teeth like I do (aka low A’s and low B’s) we’re the ones who are most at risk. Changing the grading system to plus/minus can not only directly affect one’s grades but as well as scholarships for sports teams, sororities, and other activities. 

With that being said, Auburn’s SGA has been recently polling in regards to consider changing the grading system and are in need of our responses to help inform the Academic Standards Committee on this reform.

So to all my fellow peers, may the odds be ever in our favor. 

Demetra Zuras is a Public Relations major at Auburn University with an interest in Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. Her future goals consist of moving to the big apple and working for Cosmopolitan. She's a chocoholic, shopping addict and football fanatic. WAR EAGLE!