A Place for Women, a Place for Girls: Auburn’s YWLP Provides Unique Mentorship Opportunities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

When someone says the word “mentor,” what do you think?

“I always thought mentorship was about helping someone learn to be like you, like mentoring in a job,” said Lindsey Henson, the graduate facilitator for the Auburn Young Women Leaders Program, a program that operates through the Women’s Resource Center.

Mentorship and mentoring often evoke images of job preparation, business strategy and future planning. But YWLP’s vision of mentorship is different:

“In our program, we aren’t in the advice-giving business, but I do think we guide our little sisters just by being there and living with integrity,” said Lindsey. “Mentorship is leading someone by opening your life up to them, trusting them, and showing them they can trust as well.”

YWLP, according to the website, is “a curriculum-based, after-school program that pairs junior high school girls from Auburn Jr. High with college females from Auburn University.” Through the pairing of college students, called Big Sisters, and 8th grade girls, called Little Sisters, YWLP works to cultivate awareness and passion for “their personal goals and values.”

Big Sisters work in groups led by an undergraduate facilitator; in these groups, Big Sisters lead curriculum about leadership, self-appreciation, conflict resolution, and goal making to help their Little Sisters and the Little Sisters in their groups to think about themselves as mature, positive young women. 

There are many reasons to join the program. For Emily Hedrick, a current Big Sister in the program, chose to do so to gain a sense of on campus involvement.

Emil said, “I wanted to join because I am a strong, independent young woman who has been on my own, and I wanted to be able to connect with a little sister, give her guidance and personal input about life decisions.”      

Laura Nall, another Big Sister, joined for reasons related to her personal sisterly aspirations.  

“I am an only child and have always wanted a little sister,” said Laura. “Being a Big Sister would be such an honor to me, because I wanted to be a great role model for a younger person.”

YWLP also presented the ability to help her future career.

“I want to be a pediatric physical therapist when I grow up,” Laura said. “Prior to this program, I had the least experience interacting with the middle school age. I knew this program would prepare me for my future.”

Another reason, Lindsey pointed out, is the community of diverse women the program draws and creates through the mutual goal of mentoring and supporting 8th grade girls.

“Women do not have many opportunities to grow and develop skills together once you come to college,” Lindsey said, “So this organization not only helps young girls, but also gives college women the opportunity to meet other women of integrity. YWLP creates connections across multiple disciplines at Auburn, and I don’t think you can find that anywhere else.”

“My favorite moments in the program have just been the one-on-one time I’ve had with my Little Sister and everything we’ve talked about,” Emily said. “Our car rides are so fun, because I swear neither of us stop talking!”

Encouraged by the program, Bigs and Littles create bonds based on trust, friendship, and support, which is emphasized by the curriculum and the time the Big-Little pairs spend together.

“[My Little Sister] and I went to an Auburn football game in the fall, and that is definitely my favorite thing we’ve done together,” Laura said. In our small group, I loved the auction we had and energizers such as ninja, wax museum, and charades are always a fun time.”

Those connections do come with a time commitment. The program spans over a period of two semesters, the first of which includes a class on Mondays. Big Sisters learn how to connect with and support their Little Sisters with the help of Donna Sollie, academic advisor for the program, and Lindsey, the graduate facilitator. When in their groups, Big Sisters meet with their fellow Big Sisters and undergraduate facilitator to discuss that week’s plans and curriculum. Also, Big Sisters attend weekly Tuesday meetings at the Auburn Junior High and spend at least one hour a week with their Little Sisters.

The class does not meet the second semester, but those commitments of the weekly onsite meetings, group meetings, and meetings with Little Sisters continue.

In spite of or even because of those time commitments, those that have been through the program heavily endorse joining.

Emily, who says she was not sure about the program at first, now has a great bond with her Little Sister and promotes the program for those who want to be involved and have the time to do so.

“I have loved every moment of the mentorship, because it has helped me learn that everyone is different,” Emily said. “I just want each of them [the Little sisters] to know that they are unique, and it’s important to stay true to yourself and think before you act.”

Laura, like Lindsey, promotes this program as a place for those who seek to support and uplift the Little Sisters.

“If you want to build a friendship with a girl who is only a few years younger than you, but can teach you as much about the world as you can show her, then YWLP is the place for you!” Laura said.      

For Lindsey, time is important when it comes to the bond between Little and Big Sisters.

“You get back what you put in,” Lindsey said. “But if give your whole heart to the program, it will change your and your Little Sister’s whole life. The growth you will see in your Little Sister, as well as yourself, will be the greatest reward for your time.”

Applications for YWLP are out now. For those interested in applying, click here or contact Lindsey Henson at lnh0010@auburn.edu

Click here to fill out the application. 

Pictures provided by Vicki Hoehn

Hannah an English Literature major at Auburn University.