absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

One Day of Homemade Meals: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Spring break is quickly approaching, and so is the regret of winter break binge eating! One of the easiest ways to promote healthy eating is to be the one in control of making the food. Cooking is a passion of mine, and I’ve loved being able to create my own recipes that tailor to my taste, dietary needs AND budget! Here’s a full day of homemade meals that even a college student can tackle. I’m not one to measure, so just trust your instincts like me!

Breakfast: Avocado Toast & Over-Medium Eggs

Avo toast is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast, and really, anytime. I like to use Dave’s Killer Bread and Haas avocados for mine. I start by popping my slice of bread in the toaster. While that’s getting crispy, I’ll mash half an avo. To finish, all you need to do is spread the avo on the toast and top with salt, pepper, garlic powder and sesame seeds!

I like to pair two eggs with my avo toast. I start by heating up a little olive oil in a small skillet on medium heat. I’ll then add the eggs, wait for them to set, then flip! Once they are barely runny, I’ll add salt and pepper. Then I’ll go to class in my pajamas because I’d rather eat than be presentable.

Lunch: Turkey & Hummus Wrap with Sweet Potato Fries

I’m always starving when lunch time comes, so I like to make something that will keep me full until dinner. Sweet potatoes give me that starchy carb fix without all the pitfalls of a white potato. Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Then, cut up one sweet potato into strips. Coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and parsley (I used dried parsley). Put them on a lined baking sheet and cook for about 20(ish) minutes!

I love hummus as a snack with veggies or pita chips, but I LOVE it in wraps, too! I like to use the Joseph’s flax flatbreads. I use garlic and herb hummus, but you could use any flavor you like. I’ll spread the hummus on the flatbread, add spinach, deli turkey, red onion and sometimes some turkey bacon, too! SO YUMMY!

Dinner: Creamy Southwest Chicken Chili

The only thing better than the taste of this chili is how EASY it is to assemble and cook! It’s cans and packages. Ah, my two favorite words. You’ll need: 1 can of each: corn, black beans, northern beans, Rotel. 1 package of each: Greek yogurt cream cheese (or low-fat), spicy ranch packet. Last, but not least, one package of chicken breast tenderloins. This is where the easy part comes in. Just throw it all in the Crock-pot on high for about 4 hours! When the chicken is cooked through, remove, shred and put right back in the pot!

If you wanted to make your life even easier, you could buy a rotisserie chicken in place of the tenderloins. I like to top mine with diced avocado and shredded low-fat cheese. I make this soup constantly in the winter. It’s so tasty and freezes well, too!

I hope y’all enjoy these recipes as much as I do!

Hey, y'all!  Thanks for stopping by! Hope you find something of mine that you'll love to read.
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.