No Money? No Problem! Things to Do in Auburn on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

In all the excitement of the first week of classes, you’ve probably forked over money for food, school supplies, books, and more. In the seconds before your bank statement loads on your computer, you may hold your breath and brace yourself for the worst. The dwindling numbers are your social calendar’s number one enemy. But lucky for Auburn collegiettes, our college town provides things to do for little or no cost. Check these places out! Your wallet (and your social life) will thank you later.

Chewacla State Park

Nature gurus, this one is for you! Chewacla State Park is 696 acres of pure fun whether you love camping, biking, swimming, or simply enjoying the outdoors. Picnic tables are available as well as playgrounds and hiking trails. Daytime hours extend from 7 a.m. to sundown. Weekday prices are $2 for adults, while weekend prices are $3 for adults and $1 for children ages 6-11 and seniors. With so many options, Chewacla is a limitless source of entertainment for a bargain.

Kiesel Park

Known as Auburn’s largest park at 124 acres, Kiesel Park includes a pavilion, a garden, a pond, and a walking trail. The popular dog area is a favorite among Auburn residents as dogs are able to roam freely with no leash. Fun events like Woofstock and Bark in the Park also take place here and are great ways to grab loads of freebies for your canine.

Jule Collins Smith Museum

Jule Collins Smith Museum in Auburn contains some of the most exquisite works of art with the building being a work of art in itself. At dusk the pale light of the sun reflects on the pond that stretches in front of the museum making it as beautiful as one of the paintings inside. Its current exhibitions include sculptures by Jean Woodham as well as lithographic prints. Performances and lectures frequently occur here, and the café is the perfect place for lunch. Some events may be ticketed, and donations for the museum are accepted. Or you could always take in the exterior by taking a stroll on the track surrounding the building. 

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.