This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

YouTube.com is the first place people go to to find funny videos, songs, and the like. YouTube has also become one of the most popular outlets for aspiring singers. Joseph SoMo is a singer who’s popularity arose from YouTube. In 2011 he posted a medley of Drake’s Take Care album and it was a hit! After posting that video his covers on YouTube gained over fifty million views!

Where did it all begin? His father was in a band when Joseph was younger. Although music was in his life, SoMo wasnted to just live a normal lifestyle. In 2009 the music side of him grew after his mom bought him a piano. He taught himself how to play by ear and started covering different songs. He posts new covers of songs every sunday calling it “SoMo Sunday”. In 2012 SoMo became more serious with his music and released a mixtape entitled “My Life”. It showcases SoMo’s talent by having various types of songs. “Touch The Sky” has a more beachy feel while “Dreams” is a slower song backed by a piano. SoMo’s music combines R&B, Pop, and other sounds behind his smooth vocals. SoMo was successful as an independent artist. One of his most popular songs, Ride, sold thousands of copies without any radio play. The music video for the song gained over three million views. In 2013 he went on a sold out headlining tour. I was one of hundreds of swooning girls in the crowd for his show in Atlanta. He put on a great show! You could tell that his heart was in the music. SoMo seems to only be going up from here. He now plans on releasing his debut album, SoMo, in April. You can hear “My Life” on Spotify and iTunes and his covers on his page. Below is one of his most popular and well known covers, his medley of Drake’s album “Take Care”. 

Image 1

Image 2

Hey i'm Alexis! I'm an aspiring singer and actress. I love music, fashion, traveling, having fun, and much more! I'm currently a freshman at Auburn University majoring in Radio/Television/Film! Twitter: Ayycorsentino Instagram: Ayycorsentino