This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Whether you’d like to admit it or not, everyone has a dream celebrity BFF. These gals are admired by for their humility, humor, and impeccable style, thus making them the perfect friend. While the candidates are usually the likes of Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, or Blair Waldorf (we’ll pretend she’s real), I stand firmly behind my choice in Mindy Kaling.

Ever since her eccentric antics on “The Office” stole my heart, Mindy has been my go-to source for advice on, well, pretty much everything. For those who aren’t familiar with her work (go on, crawl out from under that rock), here is a brief education on her many accolades (which also conveniently doubles as proof of her perfect hypothetical best friend status). 

Kelly Kapoor was the best thing on “The Office” 

Even though just thinking about “The Office” brings a tear to my eye, Mindy’s portrayal of Kelly Kapoor is simply iconic. She’s arguably one of the most quotable characters and her relationship with Ryan puts Noah and Allie’s to shame. I dare say that it’s the love story of the century (take that Katniss and Peeta) and Kelly Kapoor was the light of Dunder Mifflin. 

Her Twitter feed is actually flawless

Can we just talk about her book?

From its perfect title to the cringe-worthy, yet completely precious childhood photos (we all have them), “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” is my life manual. Mindy takes everything awkward and amazing about adolescence and offers up relatable commentary to ease the embarrassment that still lingers from middle school. The following quotes are taken straight from her book and are words I’d someday like embroidered on a pillow. 

“One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” 

“Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched.” 

“Teenage girls, please don’t worry about being super popular in high school, or being the best actress in high school, or the best athlete. Not only do people not care about any of that the second you graduate, but when you get older, if you reference your successes in high school too much, it actually makes you look kind of pitiful, like some babbling old Tennessee Williams character with nothing else going on in her current life. What I’ve noticed is that almost no one who was a big star in high school is also big star later in life. For us overlooked kids, it’s so wonderfully fair.”

See what I mean? Words to live by. 

The Mindy Project

There are no words to sufficiently express how emotional I was when I heard that Mindy was not only writing, but also starring in her own show (ABOUT DAMN TIME). “The Mindy Project” is 30 minutes of pure joy and it’s on right after “New Girl” so you don’t even have to change the channel. Mindy Lahiri tackles everything that life could possibly throw your way, including relationships, reality television, and Beyonce. If that’s not enough to convince you, James Franco had a brief stint on the show. You’re welcome. 

*Warning: The theme song is incredibly infectious

I want everything in her closet

I know Mindy would fulfill her unspoken best friend duties of sharing clothes.She understands the importance of being thrifty (she shops at H&M!), but knows when to splurge. I’ve quietly swooned over all of her award show frocks and she rocks high-waisted skirts like no one else. Despite our significant height difference, I’m positive that our closet swaps would be legendary. 

Rep Image

Image1

Image2