Meet the 2015 Miss Homecoming Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

We couldn’t choose just one–our Campus Celebrities of the week are the 2015 Miss Homecoming candidates! Throughout the week, we have had opportunity to learn about each of the girls and their unique platforms. Voting for Miss Homecoming will take place Friday, and the winner will be announced at the game on Saturday, Oct. 3. In order to vote, go the the Student Life tab on AUAccess. 

Let’s get to know our candidates: 

Callie Baringer: Blessings in a Backpack

Callie plans to work with foundations to help end childhood hunger in Alabama. She wants to work with foundations like Blessings in a Backpack, Jason Dufner’s charity. This program provides eligible school children with a backpack full of nutritious food to take home after school, keeping in mind that their only meal may be the one they eat at school. These foods can help with the effects of malnutrition, which can result in weak immune systems, lower IQ, and shorter attention spans. She also wants to pair with End Hunger Alabama and Auburn University Hunger Solutions. 

Tomi Obebe: Fully Focused 

Tomi was involved in a car accident that was a direct result of distracted driving. She was hit by a large truck going over 70 mph. Her car caught fire which eventually caused her car to explode. Thankfully, Tomi escaped her car in time, but others aren’t always so lucky. Tomi’s goal is to raise money for her organization, “It Can Wait.” Tomi wants to encourage not only Auburn students, but our entire community to put down your phone when you get in a car. 

Taylor Wesley: Spread Wellness with Wesley

College can be an amazing journey for students. However, that journey may contain grave obstacles. Mental health is often overlooked and Taylor wants to change that. Taylor is blessed to have received help from her peers and hopes to spread this help to the entire Auburn community. While supporting mental health, Taylor realized that if the letter “I” is removed from the word “Illness” and replaced with “We,” it becomes “Wellness.” Taylor plans to “Spread Wellness with Wesley” and provide Auburn students access to a greater sense of wellness. 

Sara Bedsole: Lutzie 43 Foundation 

Two years ago, the Auburn community was shocked with the death of Philip Lutzenkirchen. After his death, Sara was encouraged to know that a Foundation was being made to honor his life. Sara hopes to embody the spirit of Lutzie by giving back to the community. This includes service projects around Auburn, the annual 13 Can Make a Difference food drive, the Lutzie 42 Road Race and many other community events. Sara hopes to support Auburn just as Lutzie did.  

Katie Knell: Be the Key

Katie’s goal in the campaign is to educate, empower and encourage Auburn students about global oppression and slavery. She wants to educate the student body on the immenseness of slavery that go beyond our campus. Katie wants to empower students to take the knowledge they have gained from Auburn and extend it to tangible ways to defend the rights of the world. She also wants to encourage to participate and establish our significance of overcoming these battles. She believes that we have the power to advocate for the oppressed and lead students to find their purpose. 

Voting is 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 2. 

Nicole is a senior at Auburn University majoring in journalism with a minor in marketing. She is a Campus Corespondent (CC) for Auburn's chapter. She enjoys long walks to class, fine wines and cheeses and spending time with her cat. Nicole can most likely be found at a music festival or in her bed. There are no inbetweens.