This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

1. Concealer

The first step you need to take to create a makeup routine is to find a good concealer. It makes a huge difference if you apply the right tone and in the right place. Concealers don’t have to be expensive to be good. Fit Me by Maybelline is a very popular concealer that works for most skin types and is very affordable. You can also apply it on strategic parts of your face, not only on your under eye, to highlight areas of your face. 

If you want to explore more uses of concealer, this article from Cosmopolitan will be very helpful: 20 Genius Concealer Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know.

2. Foundation

Not everyone needs to start using foundation. That’s why I didn’t put it as a first step. Foundations can have low and high coverage, and you will have to decide which one is the best fit for you. There is also a choice between a matte finish or finish with glow. I don’t use foundation, usually concealer does it for me. But if you would like to try one, you can start with a BB Cream or CC Cream. Those are foundations mixed with moisturizer. The coverage is going to be low, but it will give your skin a unified tone. In any case, if you want to apply foundation, this will have to be your first step, and then concealer. You will notice that sometimes you won’t even have to apply concealer because the foundation is going to do most of the work. To choose the right shade, make sure the foundation matches your neck color. Otherwise it will appear like you are wearing a mask. I recommend starting with a creamy or liquid foundation because they are easier to apply. L’Óreal True Match foundation has 33 shades and the coverage can be built from low to medium. Chances are you will find your color in one of them!

3. Set of Brushes

This is probably another optional step. To start doing your makeup you don’t need to use brushes. You can apply your concealer and foundation with your fingers, and same with the eyeshadows. But if you want to be more precise with your makeup job or use powder bronzer, blush and highlighter, you may want to invest in some brushes from the beginning. Buying a set that already includes some face brushes and eyeshadow brushes is a great option for the price. Ecotools has many cheap kits that work great for everyday looks. If you want to invest a little bit more, Real Techniques probably has the best drugstore brushes on the market. 

4. Blush

Blushes are a very personal choice. Some people prefer powder, some prefer cream. Colors depend on the skin tone, season and personal taste. I personally love peachy colors that go great with my skin tone. A great option is to invest in a blush palette if you aren’t sure about which color would work best for you. They sometimes even include a bronzer. Any of the Morphe palettes are great options for beginners.

If you’d like to invest a little bit more, you may want to check Nars Orgasm. Everyone loves it, and once you see it, you’ll know why. So make sure you do! It’s available in both powder and cream formats.  

5. Bronzer

You have two options here. You can get a matte bronzer to contour (like Kim Kardashian), in which case I highly recommend a cream bronzer stick to make your life easier. Or you can buy a powder bronzer to give your face a healthy tan, in which case you could get a bronzer that has glitter. For a contour bronzer, Wet N Wild has some cheap and easy-to-use options if you would like to give it a try for the first time. One of them is the MegaGlo Dual Ended Contour Stick:  

For the second option I highly recommend the Rimmel London Natural Bronzer

6. Highlighter

If you already bought the MegaGlo Dual Ended Contour Stick, you can decide if you need a highlighter of not. Highlighters can help to contour by creating contrast, but they can also add a beautiful glow to the areas of your face that are touched by light. I love highlighter, and one of my all-time favorites is Mary-Lou Manizer by The Balm: 

This champagne color makes a great highlighter and also a great eyeshadow. 

7. Basic Eyeshadows

Here, I would definitely recommend going for a palette, or at least some kind of trio. Most people start with earth colors. For that, palettes like the Naked Palette series by Urban Decay are a great option. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money, NYX cosmetics has a lot of palettes, nudes and colors, for a great price for value.  

8. Lipstick, lip gloss or lip balm

I love buying lipsticks. There are so many colors, formulas, packaging, finishes… because of it, this is a very personal choice. If you are not sure about what to buy, maybe you would like to start by getting a nice colored lip balm that suits any makeup. For example, I really like the Kiss Balm Lip Balm by Revlon. 

9. Big Tease™ Plumping Mascara

Mascara is essential for any makeup. Without wearing mascara, your makeup is going to look unfinished. BUXOM Cosmetics’ new mascara, the Big Tease Plumping Mascara, delivers maximum volume and noticeably longer lashes. It provides instantly plumped lashes, and it is smudge and flake resistant. This mascara has a blend of 3 high-performing and perfectly calibrated waxes for a smooth and creamy application experience, while the conical-shaped brush works with chiseled-tip fibers to build base-to-tip intensity. 

10. Makeup Remover

The final essential for a makeup kit for beginners is a good makeup remover. It is highly important that you remove your makeup every night before going to bed. Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water All-In-1 Waterproof removes makeup, lifting dirt and oil, with no rinsing or harsh rubbing. The bi-phase formula includes all of the benefits of the traditional formula, but it removes even the most stubborn long-wear makeup. I love Garnier Micellar Water and have been using it for years! 

Magalí is a senior student at Auburn University. She is Italian-Argentinian but she grew up in Spain where she started her journalism degree. Magalí had the opportunity to join the Erasmus+ Program and spent a semester abroad in Coimbra, Portugal, where she collaborated with their university newspaper 'A Cabra'. She has lived in many countries, including South Korea, Austria and Chile. Magalí is currently finishing her degree at Auburn University. She speaks Spanish, English, Portuguese, Catalan and some French. Besides languages, she also loves organization, photography and cultural diversity. Once she graduates, she would love to work for a magazine writing and working with visual content.