The Lowdown on Summer’s Biggest Music Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Sweet summertime is approaching, and that can only mean one thing: summer music festivals! Whether you want to claim your spot out of hundreds of acres and camp out or experience the biggest mosh pit of your life, there’s a music festival for you. Coachella and SXSW may be behind us, but summer is the best season for hanging out with friends and seeing your favorite musicians up close and personal. The biggest festivals this summer feature a variety of music from hot new artists like Macklemore to legendary music icons like Paul McCartney. So grab your sunscreen and pack up the car. Here are the biggest music festivals and their lineups for this summer.

Bonnaroo
When? June 13-16
Where? Manchester, Tennessee

Bonnaroo is one of the most famous music festivals in the world. 2013 marks the 13th year of the festival’s existence, and the lineup features an eclectic group of acts. While you camp on 700 acres of Tennessee nature, you can catch music favorites like Paul McCartney, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Wu-Tang Clan. If you’re into new music, acts like The Lumineers, Passion Pit and A$AP Rocky have you covered. If that isn’t enough, comedians Bob Saget (more commonly known as Danny Tanner from “Full House”) and Daniel Tosh will also be performing. With so much in one festival, there’s no way Bonaroo will disappoint.

Lollapalooza
When? August 2-4
Where? Grant Park in Chicago, Illinois

Lollapalooza is known as one of the most environmentally friendly music festivals ever. While you wait for huge acts like Vampire Weekend, The Killers, Phoenix and Lana Del Ray to perform, Green Street provides an area for eco-friendly shopping and workshops on how to be green at home. Set on 15 acres of Grant Park, the festival also features the Uncorked Wine Lounge by Pass the Bottle and the Toyota Prius Family Playground for people of all ages. Lollapalooza provides big names in the music industry and helps support eco-friendly ways of life. What more could you want?

The Hangout Music Festival
When? May 17-19
Where? Gulf Shores, AL

The Hangout Music Festival recently announced its most eclectic lineup yet. Headliners include Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Stevie Wonder and Kings of Leon. Along with amazing headliners, the festival also booked The Roots, Ellie Goulding, Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Did I mention the festival takes place on a beach? With a relaxed atmosphere and beautiful beach weather, the Hangout Music Festival grows with popularity every year.

The Governors Ball
When? June 7-9
Where? Randall’s Island in New York City

If the beach isn’t for you, the Governor’s Ball may be a better choice. This festival allows you to spend the weekend on Randall’s Island while catching your favorite musicians. This year’s lineup includes Kanye West, Guns N’ Roses, The Avett Brothers and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Between acts, attendees can dance at the Silent Disco, play ping-pong and lawn games and show off their best side in a photo booth.

Vans Warped Tour
When? June 15-August 4
Where? 30+ cities

A music festival that sparked Katy Perry’s career has to be awesome. Perry performed on the tour in 2008, but the festival is still going strong. Instead of fans traveling to enjoy one weekend of music, Vans Warped Tour comes to its fans. This year’s three-month tour carries the theme of “Best Day Ever,” and the lineup includes acts like 3OH!3, The Summer Set, Sleeping with Sirens, Memphis May Fire and Motion City Soundtrack. With one of the biggest reputations in punk and pop music, Vans Warped Tour brings the fun with huge stages, popular non-profit organizations and acoustic sessions.

Summerfest
When? June 26-30, July 2-7
Where? Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Summerfest covers every music genre possible. If you’re into country music, you can catch Luke Bryan, Jake Owen and Jason Aldean on this year’s lineup. If radio hits are more your thing, then performances by John Mayer, Fun. and Neon Trees may be for you. Summerfest even has iconic acts like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (what summer music festival are they not a part of?), The Eagles and Blues Traveler. Whatever you listen to, Summerfest has it along 75 acres on the shores of Lake Michigan at Henry Maier Festival Park.

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.