A Look at Alabama’s New Governor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

On April 10, 2017, Auburn alumna Kay Ivey was sworn in as Alabama’s 54th governor, following the resignation of previous governor Robert Bentley. Bentley resigned in the midst of a sex scandal, as well as being charged with using campaign money for personal benefit and failing to disclose donations to his office. Ivey, as leuitenant govenor, was sworn in once Bentley stepped down. She is only the second female governor in Alabama’s history, and the first Republican female governor in Alabama history. She pledged that her administration would differ from the one before, and be an administration of honesty and transparency.

Ivey was born in Camden, Alabama, and she attended Auburn University. She was a member of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority and president of her pledge class, as well as an active member of Student Government Association for all 4 years. According to al.com, Ivey was active in supporting and organizing for Lurleen Wallace’s gubernatorial campaign. Wallace became the first female governor of Alabama. During Ivey’s time at Auburn, there were two SGAs—one specifically for women. However, Ivey was on the Senate of the co-ed SGA the first two years of college, then was elected secretary, and finally the first female Vice President of SGA in Auburn’s history. 

At Auburn, Ivey wasn’t so different from the average student today. She enjoyed hiking and picnicking with her friends at Chewacla State Park, seeing movies, and attending concerts given by the university. She was on Auburn’s homecoming court in 1966, and kept busy as an active member of many different social and honors organizations. One of her college friends described her as being a “natural born leader” who “would be something big”. With our third female SGA president currently in office at Auburn and our second female governor, it only goes to show that our university provides a quality education and starting place for the future female leaders of our state and our country. 

Lexi is from Arab, Alabama and is happy to call Auburn University home. She is a freshman majoring in English Lanuage Arts Education. She eats too much popcorn and spends too much money. Likes: dogs, Halloween, theatre, and Harry Potter. Dislikes: 8 ams & mean people. War eagle!!!!!!