This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Well ladies, tomorrow’s Friday…which mean’s the weekend’s approaching…which means one of us are bound to get that “Netflix and chill” type text within the next 48 hours. Now I don’t know about you, but it’s nearly impossible for me to scroll down my Twitter timeline or Instagram feed without seeing the term “Netflix and chill” having been used in a funny tweet or meme. There was even a “Netflix and Chill Festival” held at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia last month! Like what?! People are even sporting t-shirts that have “Netflix and Chill?” written across the chest, which FYI is a terrible fashion statement! I’ll admit it- I think the term is funny, and my friends and I often use it in a jokingly manner, but will it ever come to an end? 

I mean, come on. We all know that Netflix and chill is codeword for “Let’s watch Netflix for hmm maybe 20 minutes and then proceed to hookup.” Let’s be real, we’ve all been there, done that! I totally support the idea of Netflix and chilling, but after reading a recent article about the term “Netflix and chill” it’s come to my attention that some women and even men have taken offense to the whole idea. With that being said, this made me wonder how the student body at Auburn views the term “Netflix and chill.” So I figured instead of paying attention to my science lecture (who needs concepts of science anyways??), why not ask the people sitting next to me how they really feel about Netflix and chilling?!

I was hoping someone (preferably a female) would say “the term ‘Netflix and chill’ is totally degrading,” but that really was not the case! Every girl I  talked to supported the idea of Netflix and chilling-probably more than the males! Majority of the girls were “all in for Netflix and chill” because “after watching Netflix for awhile you just get bored…ya know?” Except there was one freshman girl who I spoke to that said since she knows what a persons intentions are when they use the term “Netflix and chill,” it actually is degrading-whether the term was used in a jokingly manner or completely serious.

Surprisingly, majority of the male species that I spoke to agreed that they use the term “Netflix and chill” solely as a joke and that they never are serious enough to send a girl a text saying “Come over so we can Netflix and chill.” Hmmm. Sadly, I can’t tell if these guys are telling the truth or not on that one!

It’s obvious though, that when you say “Come over so we can watch Netflix!” to the opposite gender, you’re most likely inviting that person over to your house where sexual activity may occur. Like I said, it happens! 

So with that being said, I wish you all a great weekend filled with plenty of Netflix and chilling!

Demetra Zuras is a Public Relations major at Auburn University with an interest in Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. Her future goals consist of moving to the big apple and working for Cosmopolitan. She's a chocoholic, shopping addict and football fanatic. WAR EAGLE!