This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

She has impeccable style that is featured on fashion blogs daily. Her dad is one of the most famous musicians in the world. She’s dated Hollywood hunks Jamie Campbell-Bower and Taylor Lautner and was rumored to be dating Zac Efron.  Are you jealous yet? Don’t worry, its possible that everyone is. Lily Collins is the acting world’s next big thing, and there are a million more reasons to love her.

When your dad is music legend Phil Collins, laying down a foundation in Hollywood definitely seems like it’d be easy. Despite her connections, Collins insisted on building her career on her own. As Glamour’s July cover girl, she mentions a quote she loves that describes her determination and independence: “Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open.” It is with that attitude that she has paved her own path to the big screen. 

At the ripe age of 24, Collins has a resume some Hollywood actors who have been in the scene for years would envy. Her first film role had her acting with Hollywood heavyweights like Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw in “The Blind Side.” Since then she’s starred in films like “Mirror Mirror” and “Abduction.” Last year she starred in “Stuck in Love” opposite Logan Lerman in a film of first love and second chances.

Most recently Collins has been gaining buzz with her starring role in “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.” The movie, the first of a series based on the popular books by Cassandra Clare, is the latest addition to this generation’s science fiction and fantasy craze. She plays Clary Fray, a girl who learns the world is filled with mythical creatures like vampires, werewolves and beings that are half human called Shadowhunters. With five books in the series that could easily be stretched into six or seven films, Collins seems to have hooked a role as memorable as Jennifer Lawrence’s Katniss Everdeen.

Besides cranking out a steady stream of films and music video appearances (check out M83’s “Claudia Lewis” video), Collins is a fashion icon. She never is photographed in sweatpants, even in the land of Juicy Couture tracksuits and Ugg boots. With a style that ranges from vintage vixen to rebel chic, she always displays a hint of confidence to complete her look. She also has changed the face (or eyes?) of the eyebrow-grooming world. Having always been known for her thick brows, Collins considered taming them, but decided to channel Brooke Shields and embrace them. Talk about a role model.

With friends like Selena Gomez and Julianne Hough, Collins seems like the girl next door. That is, if the girl next door wore rad combat boots and rocked a dark red lip like nobody else. With more film roles coming up, Collins will be busy taking over Hollywood with her confidence, style and talent. The world can relax knowing a young female icon is emerging with as much grace and elegance as Lily Collins.

Rep Image
Image 1
Image 2

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.