This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Meet Jessica Hodgson, an international Auburn student by day and Auburn athlete by night. Jessica, originally from Chang Mai, Thailand, started swimming at the age of 11. Once she realized she was a talented swimmer and had potential success for her sport, she then came to the United States where her career soon took off. After looking online for successful swimming high schools to attend, it was her junior year of high school was when she and her family moved to Jacksonville, Florida, where she attended The Bolles School for swimming.

Jessica lived on The Bolles School’s campus, as she received room and board, and her parents rented in apartment to live in for her last two years of high school. In Jacksonville, she swam for The Bolles Sharks and earned state titles in 2012 and 2013. She was then recruited by Auburn University and continued her swimming career here at Auburn, where she swims freestyle.  

Once Jessica got to college, her parents decided to move back to their native country, Thailand. Jessica says that living in the United States and attending college was a lot harder knowing that her parents were so far away from her. However, she soon adjusted to her new lifestyle, as Jessica said that “having a team behind me made it easier.”

When Jessica isn’t swimming, she is either back in Thailand spending time with her family or traveling the world. She and her family have traveled to Australia, Africa, Egypt, Italy, Turkey, Greece, Canada, China, Peru and New Zealand as well as a lot of small countries in Southeast Asia. Next year, Jessica plans to take her studies to Spain where she will attend a smaller university that specializes in her major, Hotel and Restaurant Management.  

We wish you the best of luck and War Eagle, Jess! 

Demetra Zuras is a Public Relations major at Auburn University with an interest in Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. Her future goals consist of moving to the big apple and working for Cosmopolitan. She's a chocoholic, shopping addict and football fanatic. WAR EAGLE!