Hurricane Harvey: How You Can Provide Relief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Hurricane Harvey has become one of the worst storms in U.S. History with over 51 inches of rainfall and at least 197,000 homes damaged. Many people across the United States are wondering what they can do to help. Here are a few examples of reputable organizations helping out those in need.

Nationwide Relief Efforts

American Red Cross

The American Red Cross feeds, shelters and offers emotional supports to victims of disasters. The organization is currently accepting donations on its website or you could text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10.

Americares

Americares provides emergency medicine and supplies to survivors. For every $10 you donate, Americares can provide $200 in aid.

Save the Children

Save the Children is an organization that is delivering baby supplies, setting up child-friendly spaces in shelters and providing trained staff to help children deal with the emotions that can arise during a disaster.

GoFundMe

GoFundMe has created a page with a list of all of the Harvey-related verified donation pages.  

Citywide Relief Efforts

Prevail Union

Prevail Union Coffee Shop is teaming up with the Huston Food Bank. If you buy a bag of coffee for $5 and attach a note to send to the food bank, your coffee donation will help their employees and volunteers keep up the good work.

Emily Walker

Auburn '19

Emily is a recent gradute of Auburn University in Public Relations and Marketing. She will start her job as Business Development Coordinator for Her Campus Media in June! 
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.