How a Fifth Grader got Her Clothes Worn During Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

A fifth grader from Queens, New York, rises above bullying by making her own clothing line, ChubbiiLine. Egypt Ufele, who goes by Ify, was bullied about her weight, which inspired her plus-size clothing line. To make it better, she even debuted her line during Fashion Week.

Her line consists of African-inspired designs and clothes she sews with her grandma’s sewing machine. Her prints have so much color and are so bright and fun.

Not only are the colors vibrant, but the shapes in the clothing are different. The sleeve may be longer than the normal, or something is cut out of a piece that wouldn’t normally be cut out. Her line is fresh and different.

In some of her clothing, you could see the African-inspired look because of the turban or loose clothing. None of her pieces show too much skin and are perfect for her age group. Not only does she make clothes for her own age, but she makes clothes for women, the models in Fashion Week.

Allowing her to showcase her work during Fashion Week is a great way to show young girls that anything is possible, and that bullies can’t break her. She empowered herself, which is the best way to soar above bullies.