How To Craft Your Way Through the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The most wonderful time of the year is finally upon us! Pretty soon you’ll be done with finals and well on your way to a month of relaxation, food, and family. Don’t get too comfy in your tacky Christmas sweater just yet though- you still have presents to worry about. We all want to give the best gifts to our friends and family, but sometimes that’s just not realistic for a college student on a budget. Here are some great and totally thoughtful DIY gift ideas- and they’re all under $10.00!

1. Sharpie Mugs

All you need for this project is a white mug, a couple of oil-based Sharpies, and an oven. First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash off your mug, and make sure it’s completely dry. Then draw a design (or write out the recipient’s favorite quote!) and stick the mug in the oven for half an hour and you’re done!

Helpful hint: The Dollar Tree has mugs for only $1.00!

2. Scrabble Coasters

The perfect gift for any board game enthusiast or Words With Friends addict. If you have an unused Scrabble board laying around, this is a great way to put it to good use! If not, you can order extra tiles from eBay or Amazon. Arrange your tiles to spell out whatever you want, super glue or hot glue them together, wait for it to dry, and then seal it with a layer of mod podge.

3. Hand-Painted Kitchen Tools

This gift is a great way to show your appreciation for the chef in your family. For these you’ll need any wooden kitchen items you have laying around, a pencil, food-grade paint and sealant, and a paintbrush. First draw out your designs with the pencil to prevent any mistakes. Then, carefully paint over them. When you’re sure the paint is completely dry, apply a layer of sealant. Wait at least three days, and your tools are ready to use!

4. Wine Cork Keychains

Any wine lover would love to have one of these! You’ll need a wine cork, a key chain ring, and a screw eye. Attach the key ring to the screw eye. Then, screw the the screw eye into the cork. You’re finished! If the cork you used is from a special occasion, write the date on it in permanent ink.

Happy holidays, collegiates!

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4